How long after the liposculpture surgery should I wait before the drains are removed?

Hi, I am willing to have a liposculpture, i want fat transfered to my buttocks. How long after the surgery should I wait before the drains are removed? (what is the normal expected time) and, Will I be able to move after surgery? walking, etc? TY

Drains after lipo

The drains will depend on the plastic surgeon's personal experience.  So use them and some don't.  They are not a must.

Costa Rica Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

I am a Plastic Surgeon and I have been practicing Plastic Surgery for 22+ years. I have never once used drains for a liposuction/liposculpture patient and I know of no residency trained ABPS certified Plastic Surgeon who does. Frankly, if your doc is planning to use drains, I suggest that you carefully check to determine if your doc has done formal residency training in Plastic Surgery. Drains are of no use at all in regards to large compartments that have significant connective tissue. I leave all of the gravitationally dependent skin ports open after liposuction to allow for fluid egress. Furthermore, I ask my patients to massage the fluid towards these drainage holes. Again, however, the use of drains in a liposuction/fat transfer case is highly unusual. Good luck!

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Drains after liposuction

Drains ar not normally necessary and practically almost never used after a liposuction.
The amount of discomfort and limitation in movements that you will experience after the procure will depend on the specific areas treated and on the quantity of fat removed. Normal activities such as walking can be resumed very early on the same day of the procedure.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

The doctor removes the drains when placed

When used, drains are typically removed when the fluid output has gotten to a certain point or amount per day. The great majority of plastic surgeons do not use drains after liposuction. I've heard of drains staying in for weeks after liposuction and drains removed the next day.

Talk to a plastic surgeon. He or she will not only tell you when they need to come out but should be taking them out themselves. 

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Good question. Most surgeons do not use drains after liposculpture or brazilian butt lift. But in the event that the plastic surgeon you choose uses that recovery method. Its best to have this question answered by him/her. Recovery for a BBL procedure is fast. You will be recommended to walk around the same day after your surgery. The only limitation is to not sit down directly on your buttocks for the first 10 days since this can potentially harm the fat cells that have been transferred. Best of luck. 

Dr Derby

Most surgeons do no use drains for liposuction or lipo sculpture surgery. Best is to verify this with your surgeon for your specific case. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Drains and Lipo

It's an older approach and as you've seen from the answers, most surgeons don't use drains. Ask your surgeon this question because it may range from a day to a week. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

I do not know in the practice of other surgeons, but in mine I do not use drains in Liposuction procedures.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Thank you for your question.  Typically with liposculpture drains are not necessary, nor with the fat transfer to the buttocks. You will definitely be able to walk after surgery and are strongly encouraged to do so, especially the first few days following your procedure.  Speak to a board certified plastic surgeon who can examine in you and make the best treatment recommendations for you.