My doctor did a wonderful job with my tummy tuck. I feel that I need more lipo on upper abdomen to be even (Photo)

My doctor did a great job on my tummy tuck with no lipo. I really needed to get liposuction on upper abs to balance out tummy tuck. I went back in and he did pretty nice liposuction on lower abs but barely touched the upper abs and I feel like I look like a pigeon now. He says I barely have fat on upper abs and does not want to do any further liposuction on me. Honest opinion if I need additional lipo on upper abs to look even?

Liposuction after tummy tuck

Sometimes liposuction can help to refine the contour in conjunction with a tummy tuck or an abdominoplasty. It is hard to say from your photographs, but close follow up with your surgeon can help define your goals and what your surgeon can help deliver.

More liposuction on upper abdomen?

Thank you for posting your photo.  From the photo, I agree that you need something done to improve the look of your upper abdomen.  Without an exam, I cannot say for certain that liposuction would benefit you, but if you do not have enough fat in the upper abdomen, then the muscles either were not plicated during surgery, or the sutures came apart after surgery.  In summery, you either could benefit from liposuction, or you need the upper abdominal muscles repaired/plicated to improve your abdominal contour.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Lipo of abdomen

If your abdominal subcutaneous layer is thin then more lipo won't help.  You might have a large visceral component as well which will limit your ability to get really flat.

Liposuction of the abdomen is occasionally beneficial after abdominoplasty.

It's impossible to tell from the photograph whether liposuction will help in your individual case. If you had a sick abdominal drape it's possible it secondary liposuction will benefit the area. Pinch the skin and if there is greater than an inch between your two fingers liposuction may indeed be beneficial.

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

Typically to get the best outcome from a tummy tuck, liposuction is needed. you can do more hi definition contouring and fat transferring at this point to get better outcomes.  Dr. Emer.

Prominent abdomen - Liposuction or not?

Prominence of your central abdomen can be due to the following reasons...

1. Excess subcutaneous (under the skin) fat - this can be addressed by liposuction
2. Excess fat intra peritonealy (fat inside your abdomen) - cannot be addressed surgically, weight loss will help
3. Poor rectus abdominis muscle tone - you need to work out and improve the tone of your muscles.
4. Divarication or split between the muscle - Can be reparied during a tummy tuck procedure.
5. Hernia - can be repaired during a tummy tuck procedure.

More Lipo

Hello. From your photo you clearly have upper abdominal fullness.  Your doctor will be able to tell you if this issue is a result of residual fat or loose muscle, or post op swelling.  Present you concerns to you PS again or seek a second opinion.  

Good luck to you. 

Belly contour after liposuction and tummy tuck.

I will make the assumption that your surgeon would've liposuctioned your upper stomach if there were fat there to remove. My guess is that you're seeing protrusiveness as a result of storage of weight inside your belly cavity in the visceral fat. Sometimes the upper stomach can be exaggerated by the tightening of the lower abdominal muscles causing accentuation in this area but my advice would be to suggest that you consider losing an additional 7 to 15 pounds of weight to see how much this helps. I think that this would be of benefit since I'm not sure that surgery will contribute much more.I'm obviously basing this recommendation on a photograph however you do need to be evaluated by an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon in a face-to-face setting for an accurate answer.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Liposuctin after a tummy tuck

Liposuction can be performed after a tummy tuck but if need to have fat in the upper abdomen to allow for this.  If you pinch your upper abdomen skin and fat and can feel several centimeters of fat then this may be possible but you would need to see your surgeon to determine this.  If you can not pinch much fat in that upper region you may have enlarged rib cage and chest that is giving you the appearance of an enlarged upper abdomen.

Nikesh K. Patel, MD
Freehold Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and picture.  Unfortunately, it is impossible to determine from your picture if there is any fat in the upper abdomen that can be removed by liposuction.  I suugest a second opinion from a Board Certified PS.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon