Disappointed in results. Was I expecting too much from face lift? I turned 66 right after the surgery. (photos)

He did not do lower blepharoplasty as I had expected. Did laser but looked good only when swollen. He agrees he should now go back and do incision in lower eyelid and remove fat pad and redo laser. Will have to pay to rent the laser $900 and pay for the anesthesiologist. I am 3 months one week post surgery. I looked better when swollen. Now he has also given me botox for the crinkles at corner of eyes.

Post face lift

Were you scheduled for a lower lid bleph?  Sometimes both patients and doctor don't think you need a lower lid surgery.  After the facelift it may become more apparent that you do.  If this hadn't been planned or discussed you will have to pay something - at least for anesthesia.  Easy to do lower lid surgery without a laser though so that cost seems high.  Remember that lower lid surgery is for the lids- it won't give a big lift to cheek. 

Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Communication about the specifics of a surgical plan is important because a face lift would not necessarily involve eye/lower bleph surgery unless discussed and planned ahead of time. Be sure to communicate your expectations and ask as many questions as you need to feel comfortable and ensure that what you are anticipating is realistic. If you aren't comfortable with your Plastic Surgeon's plan, seek a second opinion in person.
All the best

Lower Blepharoplasty

What procedure were you scheduled for? In my office, a full facelift is surgery for your neck and jawline only, and does not have anything to do with the eye area. Laser can tighten skin around the eyes, but surgery may still need to happen to get the desired results. It would really depend on what you paid for prior to your surgery. You should speak to your surgeon and review the original surgery plan discussed at our pre-op appointment. We do have to charge $950.00 for our revisions to cover anesthesia and facility costs to go back into the operating room, that is very standard practice. 

Facelift and lower blepharoplasty

#Facelift and lower blepharoplasty
its not clear what was done but at this time you would do well with a traditional lower #blepharoplasty
and possible laser or peel for skin improvement

Lower Eyelid Surgery

Thank you for writing. As the surgeons below have mentioned, I'm unclear as to the surgery/laser treatment that was performed three weeks ago. Also whether you had been scheduled for the lower eyelid operation (blepharoplasty)? By tightening the skin and muscle, and removing fat (if needed), the lower blepharoplasty gives patients a more refreshed, less tired, and younger look.  It looks like you would benefit from the lower blepharoplasty. With my patients, usually the blepharoplasty alone will smooth the contour of the lower lid without the need for laser resurfacing. I'd discuss this with your surgeon. Best wishes to you. 

William McClure, MD

I think I understand your concerns. Overall I think you much better. It sounds like your surgeon is trying to help you to get the results you want. Yes you should expect to pay for facility and laser fees for revisions. 

Disappointed in results. Was I expecting too much from facelift? I turned 66 right after the surgery.

Thank you for your question. It sounds as though you may have some miscommunication with your PS. Perhaps discuss what the original surgery included, what was done and what was not done. Unfortunately in a situation such as this it must be worked out with the patient and surgeon involved.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

What to do disappointed with the results of a facelift.

Without preop photographs it's impossible to agree or not agree that you have something to be disappointed about. I would discuss this with your surgeon and be very specific about what you would like to see improved. Sometimes revisional surgery is beneficial.

It seems a blepharoplasty would be indicated for the lower lid fat pads.  You also may be happier with a midface lift as this will recreate the elevated cheek you show on the last photo. 

Post Facelift

I agree you should have a lower blepharoplasty.  After you have healed, this may resolve the issues without any other surgery needed.  Good communication with your surgeon is important.  Did you review the consent form before surgery?  When visiting with your surgeon review your pre op photos with him.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD