Is there a difference between a pre-op mammogram (breast augmentation) and the one performed as a routine check up annually?

Is there a difference between your pre-op mammo and your routine mammo?

If I'm understanding your question correctly, you're asking if the mammogram you have prior to your surgery is any different than your previous routine mammograms.  The answer to that is no.  Now, after you have your procedure, mammograms will change slightly.  They take more angles and the appointment takes a little bit longer.  Always alert your mammography tech to the fact that you have implants.  

Mammagrams

Yes, mammagrams are just screening mammagrams for women without implants and no breast complaints. Diagnostic mammagrams are performed on women with implants and breast issues. Diagnostic Xrays usually take more views.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Alert the mammographer

Pre op mammograms are routine.After a breast augmentation, one must alert the mammographer to take precautions to protect your implants during the procedure.

I think you are asking the differences between screening vs diagnostic mammograms? Best to discuss with the radiologist.

No, they should not be a difference in mammography technique;  however, there will be a difference of technique once breast implants are in place. You will find that the mammography centers will use “displacement techniques” to help minimize the interference of breast implants with breast tissue visualization.
Sub muscular ( dual plane) breast implant positioning decreases this interference compared to the sub glandular breast implant positioning.

Breast aug mammogram

There is no difference between routine screening mammogram and preop breast surgery mammogram. We request mammograms preop for all patients > 40 years old, or under 40 and with personal or family history or other risk factors for breast cancer.