Can dexamethasone affect Sculptra?

I have had 1 IM shot of 4,37mg dexamethasone one week after the second sculptra treatment. Would that compromise the final result? The whole treatment is planned to be done in three monthly sessions.

Steroids after Sculptra injection can affect the results.

Unfortunately, your results from the recent injection can be less than normal.  Sculptra works by recruiting an inflammatory process to lay down collagen.  Steroids decrease inflammation and therefore you will get a less robust response from the Sculptra.  No side effects, just that you might need more Sculptra than was initially planned.  Steve Weiner, MD, Facial Plastic Surgeon.

Can dexamethasone affect Sculptra?

I have read the enclosed literature packet with a box of sculptra and find no contraindication. But I/we over the internet DONOT know your medical history. So ALWAYS best to discuss with your doctor doing the injections... 

Steroids and Sculptra injections

Sculptra is a wonderful product that slowly produces collagen and builds up natural looking results in the face to make you look younger and fuller. One single injection of steroids can minimally affect the results but it sounds like this was the first in the series so it should not affect your overall outcome. For the best results consult a board certified dermatologist with experience in Sculptra. 

Can Dexamethasone affect the Result from Sculptra?

Thank you for the great question.  Since Sculptra is a biologic activator of collagen production, anything that might decrease the inflammatory response in the body can minimize the result expected from Sculptra.  Dexamethasone is a very potent catabolic steroid which, when used systemically, is likely to reduce collagen production.  If you are in a situation where regular use of steroids is necessary, Voluma may be a better solution for adding facial volume.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon