Does this look like a deviated septum? (Photos)

Neither one of my nasal blockages is completely blocked, but I feel like one lets out more air than the other. I am not sure if my nose is just crooked or if I do in fact have a deviated septum. Thank you!

Does this look like a deviated septum?

Hi. All of us have some degree of septal deviation. The question is always....is it significant? You may have septal deviation and the difficulty in breathing may come from other sources such as hypertrophied turbinates or environmental allergies.As far as to who should performed your surgery......it depends more than anything on the experience of the surgeon. He/She should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or the American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery. That's why it's so important that you be able to see allot of photos before and after. You want to be able to urge the whole of the work. I make a comparison to baseball. Think about this. Would you rather have a player on your team that hits a home run once in awhile or one that has a consistent average? There are some excellent facial plastic surgeons as there are plastic surgeons who do beautiful nasal work. When it comes to your nose, it's is imperative that you research as much as you possibly can before making your decision. This is your face and there no covering it up. I wish you the best on your journey. I hope that the info provided has been helpful. Should you require any further clarification, do not hesitate to contact us. I personally conduct all the consultations and formulate an individual operative plan based on physical findings. We are one of only a few in South Florida that employ a web based program called TouchMD. Through this program potential patients from as far away as California can upload their photos. I then review each and everyone and draw my recommendations on your actual picture. This info is made available to you with the use of a private password that only you will have. TouchMD is private and follows all applicable privacy laws (HIPPA). I answer all questions personally, not through patient coordinators or other marketing individuals. Good luck, Dr PG  

Does This Look Like a Deviated Septum?

Tuff question. You need an examination by an experienced nasal surgeon to evaluate the effectiveness of your your nasal function and breathing.

deviated septum?

A deviated septum can only be diagnosed with a thorough examination of the internal portion of the nose. A septoplasty is only performed when patients have failed medical management to improve airflow through the nose. For more information, please see the link and the video below

Septal Deviation

Thank you for your question pertaining to deviated septums. The easiest way to ascertain whether I'd septum is deviated his by internal nasal exam. Generally speaking the septum sits within a trough called the maxillary crest. If there is dislocation of the septum from the crest this leads to deviation of the septum and it falls into either the left or the right nasal airway. If the dislocation is sufficiently exterior one may see the deviation within the nostrils. Your deviation does not appear to be serious enough to block the actual nasal passages however that says nothing of what's going on deeper within the nose. I recommend you seek the advice of a double board-certified facial plastic surgeon to get more details.

Roberto E. Garcia, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Only from your written description does it sounds like DNS? But the posted photo maybe shows a deviation.? Seek only in person opinions from boarded surgeons. But not from.....

Deviated septum?

Only a physical examination of the nose can assess whether your septum is deviated.  The septum is the cartilage and bone that divides the inside of the nose.  The photos of the base view of the nose do show a slight asymmetry of your two nostrils; however, nostril asymmetry can be secondary to multiple causes.  

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD