How can you deflate an encapsulated saline implant?

Would like to remove without replacing. Suggestions on a specialist in Tallahassee FL area.

Saline implants - remove without replacing

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.
  • You need to find a plastic surgeon in your area to help you.
  • Deflating an implant dioes not remove it -
  • You will need a procedure to remove the implants and if the capsules are hard, to remove them as well.
  • You may want a breast lift at the same time to restore a pretty shape to your breasts.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC

Thank you for your question.  There are several ways to deflate and remove an encapsulated implant.  Once it is removed it does not have to be replaced.  Begin with a face to face consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience with this area. After your consultation they should be able to let you know your options. Once you know your options then you can decide if it makes sense to have surgery.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Removal of a saline implant

The advice we normally give patients is to have the implant removed surgically; it is a relatively simple operation. However, there are circumstances under which it is acceptable to insert a needle though the skin and simply deflate the saline implant. Of course the implant shell will be left behind, but this usually does not cause any problem. Discuss it with your surgeon.

Neal Handel, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

With caution

I have several patients who had saline implants deflated in the office, only to end up with significant chest wall infections of mold and bacteria, some of whom were under treatment including IV antibiotics for up to a year.  Capsular contracture is due to subclinical infection, so proceed with extreme caution.  Surgical excision is much wiser with total capsulectomy.

Susan Kolb, MD

Explant

Remove under general anesthesia. Puncture and leaving implant in is not a good idea. Further scar tissue will occur.

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

It's an unusual question. If you have saline implants and would like them removed - I would suggest a surgical procedure to remove them. Technically, you could have the saline removed by a percutaneous needle aspiration. This would remove the saline and leave the deflated implants in your body. I do not recommend this-- I would recommend a complete removal with a qualified Board Certified PS