Concerned about my wound (Photo)

Very concerned about my wound. I'm almost 5 weeks post op. Doctor said to just cover the wound after cleaning with soap and water. Initially i was treating with triple antibiotic ointment after cleaning with hydrogen peroxide I've been seeing him each week for him to look at and he says it's healing fine and that he'd take a look at it in two weeks. He said he will perform a revision once it heals, but it seems like there's no end in sight. Am concerned...

Debridement

That wound needs debridement asap, it is a partial necrosis, a common issue with no serious consequences but the ugly scar, and this scar has later on good correction, however if not properly addressed now you'll get a serious infection.

Spain Plastic Surgeon

Concerned about my wound

Sorry about the post op fat necrosis and wound dehiscence. I offer aggressive wound care to help this heal. But I guess this will take about 2 months. Good Luck. 

Wound complication

Looks like your physician is taking care of you well. Debridement may be done as he sees fit. Washing the wound in the shower with Dove soap and water will keep the risk of infection down. Hydrogel may be used as soon as the antibiotic is discontinued. Good luck. It will take several months for the wound to heal. 

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Wound care

Although this wound is healing, it needs debridement, dressing changes, perhaps a wound VAC, and close attention.  Indeed in the end after the revision it should look fine.  

Tummy tuck wound

Thank you for your question. I am terribly sorry about your complication.

An open wound after tummy tuck can happen. It is a possible known complication. Your surgeon is seeing you frequently and is offering sound advice. This wound will heal in several weeks, from the inside. I recommend packing the wound twice daily with a saline-soaked gauze. I also recommend taking a multivitamin, vitamin C, and zinc, and eating a healthy, balanced meal with protein supplementation. Your wound will heal nicely. Please follow-up frequently with your surgeon so that your wound can be monitored. Good luck!

Regards,

Manish Champaneria, MD

Concerned about my wound

The outlined plan seems appropriate and adequate. I would add deep culture with sensitivity test to determine if there is any specific bacteria that can be treated with oral antibiotics. I would also consider debridement at least once a week to assist in the healing process. Once it is filled in - your doctor will perform the revision.

Wound Care

In general, is is very unusual to have this type of complication at 5 weeks post op.  If you are unsatisfied with your care, seek a 2nd opinion with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Your wound would require specialized care for healing.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Concerned about my wound

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced. Yes, incision line separation and/or wound healing problems may occur after tummy tuck (or any other type of plastic surgical procedure).  It may take several weeks to heal with dressing changes. Generally,  patients do well but may require scar revision surgery down the line.
I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon and continue to be patient  through the process.  
Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with longer-term.

How to Treat Open Wound after Abdominoplasty

Having an open wound like that can be scary. From your photos it appears the wound is deep enough to benefit from dressing changes or specialized wound care. Express your concerns to your doctor. If you don't feel you are getting the care you should be getting, seek a second opinion from another board-certified plastic surgeon. If you're getting the care you should, the second doctor will let you know. If you're not, then you'll finally get the help you need.

The link below has a few tips on avoiding infections.

Best of luck.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck has a wound that is not healing

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  Open wounds can happen in tummy tucks and they do take a very long time to heal. As long as there is no infection, local wound care will get the wound to heal. One then has to wait several months to decide if and when a revision of the wound is needed.  Hang in there, as you can still get a nice result if you follow through with your surgeon's recommendations.   Patience is needed. Sometimes a consultation at a wound care center can provide additional help in healing the open wound. Best of luck. 

Below is a fully healed 60 year-old patient with a tummy tuck and liposuction. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon