When choosing saline or silicone how does the cc size differentiate?

Does saline require less cc's/does silicone require more? vice versa

Volume

Saline implants are usually overfilled so that you avoid rippling.  So if you choose a 300 cc moderate profile saline implant, the final size would be around 325-330 cc.  With silicone implants, the volume you choose is the final volume of the implant.  If you like the 300 cc size for your body, you would choose a 300 cc moderate profile silicone gel implant, or a 275 cc moderate profile saline implant filled to 300 cc.  

Saline vs Silicone

I have attached a video to help you decide!

Good luck with your surgery. Always insist on a board certified surgeon!

Implant selection

Hello and thank you for your question. Saline implants are generally overfilled by 25-30cc.  I almost only place silicone implants, as they have less rippling and a more natural look and feel.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Saline vs silicone, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting question.
Breast lift with Augmentation with Saline or Silicon It is a very common question.
In my practice i recommend using - Cohesive Gel - Silicone Breast Implants with textured cover.
They are quite safe and aesthetically best as they give a firmer consistency, better projection and most natural appearance than Saline implants.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Saline breast implants are usually filled with an additional 25-50 cc, so a 250cc saline would end up being 275-300. A 250cc silicone will be 250 when placed.

No exactly the same cc's if either saline or silicone, a pound of gold is the same as a pound of feathers!. Other issue is the use of a non doctor owned clinic. Best to see a few private practice boarded PSs in Miami. Though the fees will be higher, you have access to you surgeon 24/7, which is NOT what these clinics offer..... Just food for thought...

Implants

Hello and thank you for your question. The critical parameters of the implant include the base width, vertical height (if you are considering an anatomic implant) and the projection. When comparing cc to cc you will need to know the other parameters in order to determine the appropriateness of the implant in both saline and silicone. 

Best Wishes

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Thank you for the question.  Although precise advice would require in-person evaluation, generally speaking, I do find that it takes different volumes using saline versus silicone gel breast implants to achieve the same “look”. Usually, a larger volume silicone gel breast implant is necessary to achieve the same look that is achieved with a saline breast implant (at least in my experience).

Also, generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is: 

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. 

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery. 

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps.