Chin implant to make face longer and will it cause bone absorption?

Im considering getting a chin implant to slightly increase the length of my lower face. I spoke with suregeon and he said theres bone loss due to the chin implant and that I could possibly have to get another chin implant in the future. I was wondering if they're will always be bone absorbtion when it comes to chin implant. If I read that it occurs when there's pressure from the implant, but if it's only placed on my lower jaw (and slight chin projection) would it still cause bone absorbtion?

Hi. I have been performing chin implants for over 30 years and have never experienced bone resorption that required any action to be undertaken. As noted previously, bone resorption is usually an incidental finding when an Xray is taken for some other reason. With age, natural bone resorption will occur. It is of no clinical consequence. Good luck.
Dr. PG

Chin implant related bone loss

Bone loss due to long term pressure caused by chin implant is known fact for number of years. However, in most patient this is an accidental finding (patient has facial x-rays for some other reason) ruther than due to visible deformity. It seems that extended implants which are more frequently used today create less bone resorption than older implants used 20-40 years ago? I do not think that this should be a reason not to have chin implant if needed.
You should visit another plastic surgeon with good reputation in facial implants for a second opinion consult. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Chin implants and bone absorption

Thank you for asking about your chin implant.
  • I have not over many years seen a patient with a chin implant that needds to be replaced because of bone loss.
  • The implant will tend to create a shallow groove for itself where it sits on the bone.
  • A vertical lengthening implant sits on the lower edge of the jaw and may form less of a groove than those placed higher on the chin.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Vertical Chin Lengthening

There is not bone loss per se with chin implants. There can be some passive settling into the bone of the implant but this is almost always minor and not of aesthetic significance. The placement of a vertically lengthening chin implant is a unique chin implant style that is not known to cause implant settling on the inferior border of the chin.

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  While bone absorption is always a possibility with a chin implant, it rarely occurs to any significant amount in my humble opinion. 

Hope this helps.

I personally have a chin implant from 1999! NO BNE resorption is present. Could it occur - YES . But not the usual. You may need to see more PSs in MIAMI?

Bone resorption

Bone resorption is rare, but it can happen most commonly when the implant used is short and narrow (meaning, it does not extend along the sides of the mandible).  When there is localized pressure along one particular area, and if the implant placed is particularly large with anterior projection, then focused pressure + minimized surface area to disperse it = larger possibility of bone resorption.  That being said, this is exceedingly rare when done appropriately.  It can happen, and if it does, it takes years to show itself.  It is best to ask your surgeon what implant he was thinking of using, etc as it all depends on your underlying anatomy and what may need to be done.  The other option is a sliding genioplasty, which may be better in some occasions. I hope some of this helps.

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon