Chin impant or cheek implants? (Photo)

Hi, I am aware that my chin is pretty weak, but also my cheek area is flat, which one of both procedures would benefit me more and make me look more masculine?

Chin and Cheek Augmentation

Ideally both cheek and chin and jawline augmentation would give you the greatest masculine facial reshaping change. But if you had to choose between the two, a strong jawline always creates the strongest masculinizing facial effect. 

Masculinizing the face

Thank you for your pictures.  You certainly could benefit from appropriate cheek and chin augmentation.  In your case, it is not so much what we consider "cheek bones", but rather the submalar area (the area just below the cheek bones) which is giving you a lack of definition on both profile as well as 3/4 view.  You can also readily address this with fillers if you wanted to "see what it would look like".  Most of my younger patients often start with a filler just to get an idea of what the results can be prior to doing something a little more permanent such as a submalar implant.  In regards to the chin - chin augmentation will improve your jawline, your profile, and overall improve the definition of your neckline.  If you were just going to do one over the other, I would tell you to do the chin as it will be give you the most improvement in regards to masculinizing your facial structure.  I hope some of this helps! Best of luck.  

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi, I am aware that my chin is pretty weak, but also my cheek area is flat, which one of both procedures would benefit me more a

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.  From the photos, your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), the chin is weak as are the mandibular angles.  This combines to create an elongated oval shaped face.  The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face.

• Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face. 
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.

Hope this helps.

Long face and improvement in cheeks

It seems from your photographs that you might actually benefit from both a chin implant as well as augmentation of your cheek areas. Normally, the lower lip on men should match their lower lip line and I would recommend an anatomic chin implant for that area. As far as your cheeks, fat augmentation may be an option or fillers such as Voluma which has a long duration of effect is an alternative to cheek implants. Good luck in your area.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin and plan and cheek implants?

From the limited photographs presented, it appears that there is a significant weak and recessive chin profile, and a flat max/illa cheeks which are also  recessive. Cheek implants can improve the maxilla by adding more volume to the cheeks which helps augment the mid-face. Placement of a chin implant helps with facial balance and proportions to bring the mandible forward. Both chin and cheek implant procedures can be performed simultaneously under one anesthesia with one recovery period. For more information and many examples of both procedures, please see the link and the video below