Capsular Contracture from week 2 post-op? (Photo)

I had no breast asymmetry pre-op. However from week 2 post-op my left implant felt larger than the right and I told my doctor this. I was informed to wait until at least 6 months for a more conclusive result. Now 8 months post-op left breast is still hard and never dropped even with massage. Doctor suspects it's CC from photos (I'm out of town). Can this develop from week 2 post-op? Could it also be a result of differences in implant placement during surgery? What is the best option to fix this?

Capsular Contracture from week 2 post-op?

It is hard to accurately predict what is happened.   The fact that you have a capsular contracture now is supported by the hardness and the elevation of the implant on your chest.  However if the implant was higher in the immediate postop period it simply may have been a matter of a small pocket on that side that was not large enough to allow the implant to drop.  However if the implant is hard and not movably definitely have a capsule now.  In my experience capsules do not form for 6-8 weeks after breast augmentation surgery.

Implant never dropped

In my experience, it takes many many months for a capsular contracture to take place.  More commonly, when the implant doesn't drop there has been insufficient release of some of the muscle at the bottom.  It is usually quite simple to go back to the operating room and lower the implant.  I recommend you discuss your options with your operating plastic surgeon. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast asymmetry after breast implants

I have seen this from muscle spasm on one side if the implants are under the muscle, incomplete disruption of the lower inner muscle fibers during dissection, bleeding into the pocket after surgery, capsular contracture... The only way to know for sure if it is capsular contracture is to examine the capsule during surgery. At this point the only option is revision surgery on the left after sufficient time has lapsed and currently the best person to do it is your current surgeon. Any surgeon who does a lot of breast implants will see some of these. Most surgeons would agree that the recurrence rate is higher if it is capsular contracture and the implant is not replaced. That does not mean it is 100% and what if it is not capsular contracture.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD

Revision, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
At this point of your post op we can talk about final results, thats why I recommend you a breast surgery revision.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Severe capsule contracture

Dear Mirembe,
   Thanks for submitting your picture and sorry for your problem.
 Your presentation is typical of severe capsule contracture due to Biofilm (bacteria embeded in the capsule and on the implant). The capsule is thick and inflamed.
  Unfortunately, the only solution to that problem is capsulectomy (excision of the scar) and implant replacement. Anything less than that, carries a very high likelihood of recurrence. 
 This is a tedious procedure and should be done by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon who is familiar with the condition and the procedure, otherwise. you might end up with recurrence or severe deformity.
                                    Dr Widder

As far as the previous potential for a cc after 2 weeks VERY unusual! But you have one NOW! Only surgical revision can improve, sorry.

Implant capsule

I don't think this is capsular contracture at this early stage since they were assymetrical from the start.This may be due to a small hematoma.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Left breast larger?

Sometimes seeing cases like yours on this forum can be challenging.  Its like solving a CSI situation.  Based on your story and the photos, I am guessing that you did have a small hematoma in the early post op period on the left side.  Now 8 months later, the hematoma left a contracted state in the pocket and left the implant hung up in the high position and never dropped to the pocket like the right.  Again, not sure without examination but these things need attention in the early post op period.  At this point, you will need revision surgery.  The implant will likely not drop and will need help to bring it to a lower position.  Hope this helps. Good luck.
Dr Vasisht

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon