Will doing a breast lift at the safe time of a tummy tuck affect the quality and attention to detail of each?

I am trying to decide if to do a breast lift along with my tummy tuck or if I should do them one at a time. May sound silly but if a doctor is only doing one procedure, will he take extra time for attention to detail rather than rushing a little to finish both?

Mommy Makeover with Breast Lift

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  

Without the Breast Lift, the breasts may appear larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. It's also possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result. The implant with lift can also re-position the nipples which may have been affected by ptosis or drooping. One of the primary intentions of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis). Both procedures are commonly done together, in the same surgery to correct the effects sagging and turberous breasts.

#Combined operations are often performed with our #Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with a #MommyMakeover. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your physician and board-certified plastic surgeon. Also, combining these #procedures may decrease anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.

Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Will doing a breast lift at the same time as a tummy tuck affect the quality and attention to detail of each?

This is a very good question and the answer is dependent on the surgeon and the surgical team performing your procedures. Multiple surgical procedures can safely and effectively be performed at the same time providing; it is done by an experienced, properly trained plastic surgeon with a team who routinely and efficiently performs combination procedures, the patient is properly selected for the procedures and proper safety guidelines are closely adhered to.
One of the most important factors in performing several procedures at the same time is the length of surgery. Although there is no universally agreed upon time limit most surgeons would probably agree that the limit falls between 4-6 hours. Many surgeons use 5 hours as a limit. Complication rates begin to rise as the length of surgery exceeds this time frame. In order to safely and effectively perform several procedures within this timeframe it is very important that the surgeon and his or her team are highly trained and routinely perform these combinations in an efficient manner.
A very important member of the team is the anesthesiologist. An anesthesiologist who routinely performs with the team understands the various details important to an ideal outcome and ideal postoperative recovery.
Many patients comment that the results of these combinations are truly life-changing. Fortunately today, these life-changing combination procedures can be safely performed as long as it is done by highly trained and efficient surgical teams on properly selected patient's with safety as the primary consideration.
Be sure to take care and carefully select the surgeon who will be performing this combination. Good luck

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

#SameSurgeryTummyTuck&BreastLift

For an experienced board certified plastic surgeon whether your #breastlift and#TummyTuck procedures are done simultaneously or at different times should not affect the end result. 

Breast lift combined with tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  I frequently perform breast lift along with tummy tuck on patients who are good candidates for the combined procedure.  Ideally, if you are healthy, these two procedures are easily done together.  I take the same amount of time to perform the procedures and the same attention to detail regardless of whether the procedures are performed together or not.  I would imagine most other surgeons would share this philosophy .  After all, your surgeon, more than anyone, wants to you receive a good result.

Combined procedures are common

Multiple procedures can be done safely, but it depends on your health status (past medical history), your anatomy, and the amount of surgery/type of procedures to be done. On longer cases, an overnight stay may be recommended. Please talk to your plastic surgeon to get their thoughts on the matter as they are most familiar with your medical history and overall health status.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Attention to surgical detail

Dear cdnjrparty,

If your surgeon is experienced and the operation is "routine" for them, then you will get routine results. Look over their photo gallery to see their average results, especially in combined cases. My surgical times do not vary much between procedures performed individually vs. combined. (They are actually slightly shorter in combined cases due to some timesavings with redundant steps.) If your surgeon is not experienced in these cases, you are correct that it is probably safer to stage the operations. A breast lift and abdominoplasty should take about 5 hours and is safe if you are good candidate.

Mommy Makeover

This is a great question. One way to get to know a little bit about the surgeon is to ask about their surgical schedule. Do they schedule surgery into the evening after starting early in the morning? Is every day of the week available for surgery? This might indicate that a surgeon has a sparce schedule and do what it takes to be busy. Every surgeon has their own way of doing things. I am in surgery every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I am available for post operative and pre-operative appts on Thursdays and Fridays, and if needed I can see post op patients between surgery cases. I also have a physician extender (PA) as well as multiple nurses to see patients when needed while I am in the OR.

Look at photos of mommy makeover patients to get a sense of a doctor's attention to detail. Is there a scar around the belly button? Is the waist smaller? Do the breasts look natural? has the upper abdomen been addressed. Photos are an important first step in evaluating your surgeon.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

I commonly perform combination procedures provided a patient is a candidate. I would prefer to perform the procedure in a hospital setting with a possible overnight stay.

Breast lift and TT at the same time?

If your BMI is normal and you are healthy, both procedures could be performed safely without compromising your result in any way. However, larger patients do take more time simply because there is more tissue involved. In my hands The Horndeski Method (TM) breast lift takes an average of 4 hrs to perform. Due to its complex technique - it cannot be rushed. Breasts are reshaped and repositioned using a woman's own tissue without needing breast implants or a vertical scar. A TT with mesh reinforcement takes an average of 2 hrs. I do not recommend any type of cosmetic procedure to go over 6 hrs of general anesthesia. If after a physical exam it is determined that your procedure will take more than 6 hrs, I will advise for them to be done separately. Patient safety is of utmost importance and should not be taken lightly.
Best wishes and kind regards,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Multiple procedures

As long as the procedures are not too long they can be done together with excellent results.  Abdominoplasty and breast surgery are frequently done together without compromising the result of either of the procedures.