I'm 38D. Do I need a breast lift, reduction or both? (photo)

i seriously need my breasts done but im not sure if i should get a lift or reduction or both. im a new mom and I've been breastfeeding for a year now so im obviously sagging and have loose skin and one breast is bigger than the other. right now im a 38D, before my pregnancy i was a 36C. please help!

Breast lift or reduction after breast-feeding?

First you should wait at least 6 and possibly 12 months after you are no longer breast feeding before considering breast surgery.

If you want the total size of your breasts smaller than a reduction will give you both a lift and a reduction of the breast mass.  However if you want to retain fullness of your breast then a breast lift will be a better answer.  Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon.

Breast lift

You could use a breast lift. If you want smaller breasts, then a small reduction can be performed as well.

Breast lift with a reduction

With a breast reduction you will also get a lift.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to help you differentiate between the two operations.  A reduction is considered reconstructive and is covered by insurance while a breast lift is cosmetic.  

Breast lift vs. reduction or both?

First of all, if you decide to get a reduction, the lift is included as part of the procedure. The main question is are you happy with the size of your breasts in general? If you have neck, back and shoulder pain or would like smaller breasts, then reduction is the way to go. If you are generally happy with the size and not so happy with their position, then a lift may be more of what you are looking for. Keep in mind that all women feel smaller after a breast lift because you are putting the same amount of breast tissue in a tighter package. Hope this helps. Be sure to see a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Breast lift with slight reduction

I would recommend a breast lift, removing some tissue as well.  A lift does not classify as a reduction of roughly less than 400-500 gm of tissue is removed, which I think is your case.  A lift would be done with less scarring and could give you the C cup breasts you had.  Best wishes!

YES! A Reduction/Lift but only after you have STOPPED breast feeding for a few months. Best to seek IN PERSON opinions from a few boarded Plastic surgeons in MIAMI. Over 80+ in South Florida to chose from. BTW do you have health insurance? If so you 'might' have partial coverage...  

Lift or reduction

First you will need to wait until at least three months after you stop nursing, so that your breasts are not engorged and so that whatever recovery of skin elasticity has occurred. 

At that time you can decide whether you want to be smaller and therefore need a reduction, or whether you only need a breast lift.  A lift is incorporated in the design of any breast reduction, so doing both is not needed. If all looks the same as now, I agree that you would benefit from a lift or reduction. 

If you are planning more pregnancies, you will want to consider waiting until you have completed your family, or you may be facing the same decision after the next baby, and thinking about a second lift. 

Thanks for your question and photo, all the best. 

Breast lift and reduction?

Your breasts appear to be sagging and you can consider having a breast lift alone if you just want a perkier contour, or a breast reduction as well to significantly reduce size. It is up to you what you would prefer.

I'm 38D. Do I need a breast lift, reduction or both?

Hi and thanks for your question. The first thing you need to determine is whether or not you are through with having children. This is crucial. If you plan on having other kids, then wait.

If you are finished with having kids, then I would recommend a small reduction/breast lift. I would strongly suggest that you do plenty of research before making your decision.

I have been performing breast lifts in the land of cosmetic breast surgery, Miami, Florida for the past 29 years.

In any case, always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in cosmetic breast surgery. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

I answer all questions personally. Many surgeons have the ability to carry on line consults which we frequently do. Contact our institute and we will be happy to guide you.

I wish you well on your journey. Good luck

Breast lift versus a breast reduction.

A great way to decide between a whether breast lift or a breast reduction is right for you is to start with a bra that fits you well. If you are happy with the appearance and volume of the breasts in that bra, then a lift is most appropriate. If you feel that you are still too large in the proper bra, then a reduction is the correct surgery. Both operations will relocate the nipples and tighten the skin, however a reduction will decrease the overall breast size. A visit with a plastic surgeon will also help you identify your specific options.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon