Breast implants and sickness...Is it safe for me to get them?

I am thinking about getting breast implants. I already paid my nonrefundable deposit of $1,000 but I am reading all these horrible stories and I don't want that to be me. Do you think that breast implants are linked to illness and/or diseases? Would you recommend breast implants to your family and friends? Would you recommend saline or silicone?

I recommend having a thorough discussion with your surgeon as well as read some articles related to your concerns. 

Regards, 

Silicone breast implants are safe and are not related to any significant medical illness.  This has been proven in many studies.  You can surge the Internet for "Executive Summary on the safety of silicon breast implants."

It is important however for you to be psychologically comfortable with breast implants and because of your fares saline breast implants may be a better choice for you.

Delay her surgery and do not have your surgery until you have resolved these issues and are totally comfortable with having breast implants.  If you are not then you should not have them.

Breast implants and sick, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 
I recommend you to talk with your plastic surgeon and follow his advices about your illness. I prefer using the Cohesive Gel - Silicone Breast Implants with textured cover ("gummy bear implants") They are quite safe and aesthetically best as they give a firmer consistency, better projection and natural appearance.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Thank you for your question. After a moratorium on the use of silicone implants in cosmetic procedures in the 1990’s, the FDA lifted the ban on silicone implants in 2006, stating they were “safe and effective.” There have never been any confirmed links between silicone implants and an increased risk of health problems. Today, silicone implants are used three times more frequently than saline implants. Implants are not permanent devices, and oftentimes additional surgery in the futures is needed, this may be switching out to larger implants, or the possibility of a breast lift being needed. Be sure to find a board certified plastic surgeon who can help you through the process of breast augmentation surgery.

Breast implants are among the most tested of medical devices. No other medical device has been studied to the extent that breast implants have. Extensive studies of tens of thousands of women with breast implants have shown that both saline and silicone implants are safe. They do not produce a higher rate of cancer or autoimmune disease. After vigorous evaluation by the FDA, both are approved for cosmetic and reconstructive usage.

The majority of patients having breast augmentations are very pleased with their results. No one should enter into that procedure with the idea that the implants will last forever or that they may never need another breast surgery. There are a variety of reasons why a woman would have a secondary procedure: to alter the size of the implants as the patient ages and the size and shape of the breast naturally change, to correct the effects of pregnancy on the breasts, weight fluctuation, the implant can form a capsular contraction around it which produces a hardening, or the implant may leak. No one can guarantee the life cycle of an implant.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

There are medical research studies that have shown there is NO relationship between implants and any illnesses. But you seem to like using clinics fr your surgery? Best to seek a few in person opinions from private practice boarded hospital privileged PSs in MIAMI....

Breast augmentatation has postive reviews

On Realself, breast augmentation has very high satisfaction ratings by the patients.
Keep reading on this site and it will help you with your decision.
Dr. Denkler

Safety of breast implants

Silicone or Saline

Both silicone filled and saline filled breast implants are approved for use in the US by the FDA. Both are safe. Breast implants in general have had multiple studies looking at the incidence of collagen vascular disease in patients both with and without implants. There is now definitive evidence that silicone gel implants do not increase a woman's risk for any rheumatologic condition or any set of symptoms that may represent a new disease. Interestingly, the shell of both implants is made of a rubberized silicone. Therefore, what's actually touching the patient inside the pocket is silicone in both a saline and silicone breast implant. There are a few differences in saline and silicone implants that one should consider before choosing each. Saline implants, because they are filled with water, if properly filled, will collapse in the upper portion of the implant is the water reaches a meniscus and lays flat. Saline implants also have a more palpable edge that looks like a wave that you can feel and sometimes see as a wrinkle. When saline implants are grossly overfilled beyond the manufacturers stated range, these wrinkles can be alleviated by the implant, however, may feel very firm. Because saline implants are two convex discs essentially glued together, as they are filled the transition from the back of the implant to its front can be very abrupt leading to a much more visible edge. This will make the breast seem very round in patients with very little overlying tissue. In my mind, there are a few advantages of saline implants. Saline implants cost less and because they come with no fluid in them, can be placed through remote access ports like the bellybutton or underarm. Silicone gel implants do not wrinkle as much, feel more breast- like, look better under the breast with less harsh of an edge and therefore less visible. Because the gel is connected all the way through to the top of the implant, even in the upright position the upper pole of the breast does not completely collapse. I believe this is better in situations where after pregnancy or weight loss, the patient needs some fullness added to the upper pole of her breast. There's also a difference in how long these implants may last. In my experience, saline implants have a 10 year break rate that somewhere in the low teens and silicone gel implants are somewhere below 5%. In today's modern cosmetic breast practice, where Vectra 3-D imaging is commonly done, I don't think it's an advantage of saline implants that you can add some saline to them intraoperatively to make better symmetry. Using the Vectra 3-D imaging platform, different sizes and shapes and volumes of implants can be placed on a 3-D image of the patient to decide which implants make for the best symmetry and therefore nothing needs to be changed in the operating room. One of the criticisms of silicone gel implants in the past was that the gel with a broken implant could escape into the breast tissue and end up causing systemic illnesses or get into the lymph nodes. Modern silicone gel implants are made with a gel diffusion barrier on the inside such that the small particles of silicone cannot leech through the shell. Also, the shell itself is highly cohesive or sticky taking on more of the consistency of a gummy bear candy than of a liquid. In fact, if the implant is cut in half the gel will only extrude from the remaining implant if squeezed and then return to the shell when the pressure is let go. Therefore, in the event of a broken silicone gel implant the gel will be contained mostly inside of the shell of the implant. In my cosmetic breast practice, for the last 10 years or so, I have used mostly silicone gel implants. Hope this information is helpful.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS