Can i have a breast explantation under local anesthesia? submuscular

Hi I would like to remove 450 cc mentor saline under muscle 7 yrs with no lift or replacement, but do not want to go under general anesthesia. I cannot stop thinking about removing my implants im up all night worrying about getting surgery to have them removed because i am very frightened of general anesthesia and would much rather go under local anesthesia if possible, would also appreciate if there is a cream you recommend me to use prior to removal to decrease sagginess? thank you for your answers =-]

I agree with my colleagues.  It is not in your best interest to have these implants removed under a local anesthesia.  If you are afraid of general anesthesia, ask your surgeon to schedule an anesthesia consult for you prior to surgery.

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend anesthesia to remove the implant, capsule and suture the muscle back down to the rib.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Breast implant removal

it can be done but I prefer to use general anesthesia so that the patient can be more comfortable.  I agree with the other docs that have explained that the capsule needs to be removed.  See a board certified plastic surgeon. Good  luck!

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

General anesthesia is the only legitimate option

For explant surgery, it is almost always best to remove the capsule in its entirety.  This will allow the space to heal.  If you leave the capsule in place, it does not heal.  Fluid can accumulate in the space.  The situation that brings the patient to implant removal will have an affect on the decision.  This is a surgery which requires discussion with the plastic surgeon about the problem, the goals, and the technical concerns.  The body does not re-absorb the capsule.  Revision surgery requires drains because the fluid is going to be generated when you operate on the scar capsule.  If you provide a mechanism for the fluid to be removed (i.e. drains), the risks are lower.  If the fluid accumulates because there were no drains, it will most certainly cause problems in the future.

Generally speaking, it is possible ( but not necessarily recommended for every patient) to have breast implants removed under local anesthesia. Factors that may come into play include the location of the incision used for placement of the breast implant, the use of smooth versus textured breast implants, the potential need for additional maneuvers (such as manipulation of the breast implant capsule), specific patient anxiety/pain threshold, and the comfort level of the particular surgeon performing procedures under local anesthesia…

Generally speaking, what your breasts will look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.
Patience is definitely indicated after removal of breast implants; it will take many months for the skin to “bounce back” and for you to see the final appearance of the breasts. 

Your plastic surgeon will be able to answer your question in a more specific/meaningful fashion. I hope this, and the attached link ( dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns) helps.

Removal of the implants only can be done under local anesthesia but you may have increased risk of complications including seroma, infection (especially mold), and diffuculty with cancer detection.  Also 450 cc implants will create a significant deformity in most cases, as an internal and possibily an external lift would be important for the best results.  General anesthesia is very safe now with monitoring of oxygen and CO2 levels so you might want to consider hypnosis for your phobia.

Susan Kolb, MD