Why is it that some women need drains on their breast and others don't? Who is a candidate and who is not?

Why is it that some women need Drains on their breast and others don't? my friend states that Breast surgery should have drains but on them?

Drains and Breast Augmentation Surgery

Drains are indicated on some breast procedures and not others. Drain use is also something that can be variable from surgeon to surgeon even for the same procedure. It is not correct that all breast surgery requires a drain. I do not use drains for breast augmentation, breast lifts, or breast reductions. I use drains for immediate breast reconstruction procedures after a mastectomy. I hope that helps!

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

There was a tendency sometime ago to use drains after breast surgery.

The new tendency, and the one a prefer for my patients, "is not to use drains after breast surgery".

Its a matter  of opinion and management of each surgeon.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

To drain or not to drain

Drains are often a surgeons preference.  I believe most plastic surgeons choose not to place a drain with breast augmentation.  Regardless, a drain likely helps with recovery in the early days after a breast augmentation.  In the end, I would just follow the recommendations of the plastic surgeon that you end up choosing to work with.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Hello! Thank you for your question! Use of drains is typically surgeon preference. The reason for its use would be to remove the fluid from the breast pocket in the initial postoperative period. Stagnant fluid can certainly induce bacterial colonization, however, your body typically absorbs such fluid readily. Most surgeons after a primary breast augmentation, including myself, do not use drains. But, again, it is surgeon preference. There is no right or wrong reason - both will have their pros and cons.  Discuss this with your surgeon prior to your procedure. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Drains in breast surgery

There isn't a hard and fast rule about this. Some surgeons use drains more than others. Some patients have more of a need of a drain than others. That is exactly how it should be.

Drains are not a bad thing. They have an important function and if you need them then you need them. Removal isn't particularly difficult and they don't represent a significant risk to the patient.

I would recommend talking this over with your surgeon and not your friend.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Drains

I'm not sure what procedure you're referring to.  Much of this is based on surgeon preference or the nature of the procedure.  Personally I rarely use drains for breast lift or reduction procedures but I do make this final decision during the procedure.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Drain placement is the option of the surgeon, and type of breast operation preformed. Breast implants rarely need drains vs Breast Reductions 50% do need drains. Best to ask your chosen surgeon his/her opinion. 

Drains or not

This is really the domain of the surgeon.I can't recall the last time I put a drain in any breast surgery ie aug,reduction or lift.Again it is the surgeons preference.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon