Would dental treatment harm my breast augmentation?

I need some dental work done so my question is can I can a breast augmentation done before I get the Dental work done. I need a extraction and deep cleaning and a crown? Would that cause any harm to my breast aug?

Dental treatment

This is quite a gray area, and a scientifically based answer may never be available. Some feel capsular contracture occurs when bacteria seed the scar around the breast implant. (The bacteria commonly found in the mouth are not the ones implicated in CC).  During teeth cleaning and other dental work, bacteria likely enter the bloodstream, and on that basis some surgeons and some dentists recommend a brief course of antibiotics. 

All the best.

Antibiotics and dental work

There are already many excellent responses to your question.  My protocol is based on the fact that I have seen two contractures following dental work in augmentation patients.  I recommend antibiotics just prior to any dental work in the first year after augmentation.    My logic is that inflammation is still present in the first year after surgery and the increased blood flow may increase the chance of blood borne bacteria being carried to the implant.  Just my thoughts.

David Marcus, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Dental work and breast augmentation

Thank you for your inquiry about timing your dental work and breast augmentation.

Unless you have an active dental infection, you can definitely have your breast augmentation before you have your dental work.

I do prescribe antibiotics for women with active infections of any kind and breast implants. I have seen capsular contractures develop after infections elsewhere in the body. (This is true of all implants, not just the breast.)

Going to the Dentist after Breast Augmentation

I don’t normally recommend that my patients take antibiotics when they see their dentist.There is no good scientific evidence showing that preventative antibiotics should be taken.That being said, some surgeons do recommend antibiotics, presumably because they are concerned that the visit to the dentist could release bacteria into the bloodstream (“bacteremia”), the bacteria could end up seeding themselves on the breast implant (which doesn’t have a blood supply and can’t fight off bacteria like the body does), and could possibly lead to capsular contracture (hardening).

Dental work and breast augmentation

There is a theory that dental work can cause bacteria to be seeded into the bloodstream where it might travel to the breast and contribute to the formation of a capsular contracture.  Some dentists/doctors recommend taking prophylactic antibiotics to prevent this from happening.  There is no real evidence that this is necessary but it certainly won't hurt anything if your doctor/dentist chooses to do so.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Bacteremia from dental work has not yet been shown as a problem to breast augmentation.

There is some indirect evidence to show that biofilms, possibly triggered by a bacteremia from a procedure such as dental cleaning, may play a role in capsular contracture. At the moment this is theoretical. I doubt however seen objection to taking some prophylactic antibiotics.

Finish dental work before your breast augmentation

Although I have no hard scientific evidence to support my opinion, invasive dental work does cause the release of oral bacteria into the bloodstream.

Because breast implants are foreign to your body it is possible that the bacteria released into your bloodstream by deep dental work can potentially attached to your implants and possibly cause at least a chronic infection which might lead to capsular contraction.

If you are my patient I would recommend that you complete and finish her dental work before breast augmentation.

Dental cleaning and breast augmentation.

Although there is no hard scientific evidence for a correlation between dental cleanings to the infections and  complications with breast implants,  I recommend to my patients after breast augmentation surgery that they take a dose of antibiotics prior to any dental procedure. The reasoning for this is that the implants do not have an innate ability to fight off infection, and with any dental procedure there is a transient bacteremia (oral bacteria getting in the bloodstream) that occurs which may lead to "seeding" of the breast implant capsule. Often times when I  see patients who have had capsular contractures,  the onset of the contracture typically followed either a sore throat which went untreated or a deep dental cleaning in which the patient felt slightly sick for the day afterwards.  Capsular  contracture can be seen even years after breast augmentation surgery.  I feel that taking a small dose of antibiotics prior to any cleaning is worth  the chance to prevent contracture,  Even If There Is Not Strong Scientific Evidence for It yet.

Years ago it was common for a patient with breast implants to be placed on antibiotics, but that is no longer the case. I can't imagine any of my augment patients go without dental work and I have never seen one patient have a problem, That is in over 30 years.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD