Could botox injections alleviate facial sweating? I suffer from that, especially in stress and performing at work.

BOTOX Treats Excessive Sweating

BOTOX can indeed be used to treat excessive sweating, and this versatility often surprises people who think it is only used to reduce wrinkles. BOTOX is approved by the FDA for a range of medical conditions, including as a treatment for excessive sweating (a condition called hyperhidrosis) under the arms. It can also limit sweating in other areas, such as the palms and face, but this is an off-label use, meaning it is not specifically approved by the FDA. BOTOX may help curb sweating during times of stress, but it is important that you see an experienced, highly trained injector because it requires technical expertise to achieve the desired results.

Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Yes, Botox can help facial sweating

BOTOX is an approved treatment for underarm sweating, however it can also help with sweating on the hands, feet, scalp and even the face. Typically BOTOX last 3-4 months. Not all areas can be treated, as it also relaxes muscles, so there will be some skin areas. 

Best for high forehead, nose areas and in-between your eyes. Side effects? Less wrinkles.

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia.

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Botox for Facial Sweating / Hyperhidrosis

Great question! Yes, an added benefit of Botox is that it can reduce the symptoms of hyperhidrosis, or excessive sweating. For this condition, Botox works by interrupting the nerve messages that stimulate sweat production and is commonly used for hyperhidrosis of the hands, scalp, under arms, groin and the forehead. The results of each treatment should last approximately 4 months before needing to be repeated. Botox is safe to use on many areas of the face to reduce sweating; however, I recommend discussing Botox for hyperhidrosis with an experienced physician who will be able to explain all treatment options to you.

Kian Karimi, MD, FACS

Botox

Botox can definitely help with sweating as it blocks the release of the neurotransmitter ACh which controls sweating.  However, I would recommend seeing your doctor to make sure the sweating is not due to any underlying problem, and I have used other options with some of my patients such as robinul.

M. David Cole, MD, FAAD
Newport Beach Dermatologist

Botox for facial sweating

Yes, an incidental bonus from using Botox in the forehead (for the horizontal wrinkles) and upper lip (to give more of a pout) is that there is decreased sweating. My patients are happy that their makeup doesn't run while they are working out! There are other topicals and pills that do help with sweating, besides Botox.

Botox can also be used in very dilute amounts over the cheeks and nose - this will help with sweating and oily skin, and some people even use it to prevent the flushing from rosacea. Of course, you must be very careful with the amount used and the placement, since you don't want to cause muscle asymmetry.

Jessie Cheung, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Sweating -- Botox for hands/feet/face/armpit, surgery, oral pills

Yes botox works well for facial sweating however if you have significant amounts you may need oral treatments like glycopyrrolate.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox an facial sweating

Sweating on the face is controlled by different chemicals. there is an area on the forehead about the middle that is controlled by acetylcholine which is blocked by Botox. no other areas in the face will respond

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox and facial sweating

Excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) of the scalp and face may be treated with Botox; however there are a number of things to consider.

1. It's a lot of Botox, which means each session will be expensive. Botox's effect is temporary. You'll need repeat injections every 3 months.
2. Safe technique. With large doses of Botox, the risk of droopy eyes or overly frozen parts of your face increases.
3. Compensatory sweating. Your body is trying to regulate heat. If you stop the sweating in your face and scalp, then the rest of your body may sweat more to cool down.

Keep these things in mind when selecting a safe treatment for your situation.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Sweating

Botox can definitely be used for the hands and feet to prevent sweating but it cannot be safely used all over on the face to prevent facial sweating.  Best, Dr. Green

Hello Ernesto2016,

Although Botox can be used to treat sweating, it is probably best not to be used all over the face.  The reason is if you were to receive facial injections for sweating, which would likely be all over, you would start noticing the Botox affect your facial muscles.  You may no longer be sweating but it may make your face look very strange. Now if you have a single area of the face that sweats excessively, like the forehead, then this may be an option.  But if the sweating is more in the cheek area or around the mouth then the dose needed to treat the excessive sweating would likely affect your facial expressions.  

If you are considering this I'd recommend you see a physician injector such as a facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or dermatologist.  There is a test that is done to determine where you are sweating from and based on that, it could be determined if it is a good option for you.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon