Body mass index vs liposuction

My doctor told me that for my height, 5 feet six inches and weighing 170 pounds that my body mass index is 30-32, which is considered obese for my size? He told me the normal for my height and weight would be around 26? My question, I want to ask right now is if I had liposuction to remove all the areas on my body I can pinch with my fingers would my body mass index drop to around 26?

Liposuction Candidate

I suggest you see an expert and post photos.  Body shaping can be performed , especially a hi def VASER contouring 4D procedure if you have numerous small problem areas.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Body mass index and liposuction

Thank you for your question. Liposuction will help you lean down the trouble areas with excess fat deposits but is not a weight loss procedure.  Liposuction slims and reshapes specific areas of the body by removing excess fat deposits, improving your body contours and proportion, and ultimately, enhancing your self-image. That´s why it´s recommended to get as close to your goal weight before surgery, it will help you get the best results. 

Liposuction and BMI

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Unfortunately, liposuction cannot lose your weight for you.
  • Your BMI will end up the same after liposuction for a number of reasons -
  • Most important, after you have liposuction, unless you lose about 10 pounds, your body regains the removed fat because you continue to eat as much as before -
  • It just settles in new areas.
  • Also much of our fat is inside the abdomen around internal organs and cannot be removed with liposuction.
  • So sadly, yes you are over-weight and no, more exercise and fewer calories not liposuction are the answer -
  • Everyone finds this hard, given the modern lives we lead but do your best.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Hello and Thank you for your Question!
This is a common question in the office.  With your height and weight, the calculated BMI is currently 27.4, and you are an excellent candidate for Liposuction.  Patients should not expect to lose a dramatic amount of weight with liposuction.   However, because fat is removed from cosmetically important areas, liposuction should produce significant improvements in aesthetic appearance. Although liposuction should not be regarded as a method for weight loss, in appropriate patients it can produce significant  cosmetic improvements.

I wish you well in through your surgery and recovery,
Dr. James McAdoo

• AOA  board-certified plastic surgeon
  • 20 years experience
  • 33,000 operative cases

Body mass index vs liposuction

Hello stephanie.torelli00 - Thanks for your question. Unfortunately, liposuction doesn't typically result in any significant amount of weight loss.  Fat is quite lightweight. What liposuction will do is shape your body to enhance your natural curves and make your 5'6" 170lb. frame look more proportional from top to bottom. Consult with a liposuction specialist in your area for more information.  Weight loss occurs via proper diet and exercise only.  Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Body mass index vs liposuction

Liposuction is not a weight loss method. It is simply used to treat targeted stubborn fatty areas and to contour. But at 5'6 and 170 pounds, your BMI is 27 and not 30-32. You can find BMI calculators on google. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Lipo & BMI

The majority of our patients for liposuction have elevated BMI. While there is some weight loss with surgery, it is typically nowhere near what patients think it will be. Remember, this is SPOT REDUCTION, not overall fat loss. The fat weighs approximately 2.2 pounds per liter, so if you had five liters removed (a very large liposuction) the expected weight loss after swelling is resolved would be approximately 11 pounds. Don't use liposuction for weight loss, it is for body contouring. Weight loss is accomplished through proper nutrition and effective exercise.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Candidate for liposuction

It would appear that you are a reasonable candidate for liposuction. Here is some helpful information about Lipostuction: If you have excessive subcutaneous fat, which is resistant to diet and exercise.
If you wish to change the contours of your body. Commonly involved areas are the anterior part of the neck (under the chin), upper arms and armpits, male chest/breasts, trunk abdomen, waist, hips, thighs, inner knees, calves, and ankles.
Most patients are near normal weight and desire permanent contour changes. Patients with average weight, localized fat collections, and healthy elastic skin are the best candidates for liposuction. Obesity, cellulite, or loose, sagging, and inelastic skin are several conditions which may tend towards less desirable results. In fact, these problems may be worsened by liposuction. Unfortunately, many individuals performing liposuction are not trained in other techniques of body contouring and may not have the experience to recognize that a different procedure (such as a tummy tuck) may provide a better result for the patient. Suction Assisted Lipectomy (SAL) may be used in conjunction with other body contouring procedures, such as breast reduction, tummy tuck, thigh lift, or facelift.