Asymmetry and rippling 5 months after BA. What can I do? (Photo)

I had my BA in June, almost 6 months ago. My breasts have been pretty even until a few weeks ago. The left has dropped down a lot more than the right and seems a lot smaller. Also, when I bend forward or move positions, I can see rippling (if you will) in my skin. Is this normal? Do I need to have surgery to correct the asymmetry?

Post op breast augmentation.

Hi and thanks for the question and picture. You need to be examined to determine the cause of the difference between your breasts after surgery. You may need a revision operation to correct the difference at this point after surgery...

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Symmetry

Perfect symmetry does not exist in nature. It is always a goal of surgery but never perfectly achieved. The key is that your asymmetry is not distracting or noticeable to you or other. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon to see if you may need additional procedures to improve your result.

Revision options

This is the kind of thing that can really only be assessed in person. Rippling is typically due to thin breast tissue and what you are feeling is actually the implant. Schedule an appointment with your surgeon to discuss your revision options. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Asymmetry and rippling

More information would be required to evaluate the asymmetry including size of implants, shape of breasts prior to surgery to name a few.  As for rippling, that is often due to thin soft tissue coverage.  If they are above the muscle, perhaps putting them below could help.

Rippling post aug

This can happen and often does as we age since we lose breast volume.If the implant is not under the muscle maybe changing the plane or what I do is to do a composite aug so I put a silicone implant in and then do fat gr5afting to the superior pole and medially to give the patient a more natural look.It is a great technique.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Given the asymmetry that I see in your photos, I recommend a breast augmentation revision to balance things out.   Best of luck!

Asymmetry and rippling 5 months after BA. What can I do?

Yes the upper pole left sided flatness is obvious in the posted photo. As for wrinkling in implants, did you have saline or silicone? Best to discuss with your original PS to see if revision surgery is an option. Otherwise seek in person second opinions. I might offer fat grafting in upper pole flat areas. 

Asymmetry at 5 months post op

Thank you for the photo and question.  it seems your right breast is larger than the left but it would be hard to tell exactly what's going on without an in person exam.  I suggest you visit your plastic surgeon immediately and have him or her address your concern.  Surgical revisions may be needed.  Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Rippling and Asymmetry

It would be helpful to know if your implants are under the muscle or under the gland, but they appear to be under the gland in which case rippling may be more noticeable.  It appears you may be getting a capsular contracture on the right.  You should see  your plastic surgeon to be evaluated.

I would suggest going back to your surgeon and be checked for a seroma. Excess fluid building up around the implant could cause it to swell. Saline implants can ripple, but any implant could ripple. sometimes fat grafting can improve rippling. Please discuss all your concerns with your doctor.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon