Is the anchor cut my only option for a breast lift? (Photo)

Breast lift options: Is the anchor the only choice?

Some doctors recommend the lollipop and some the anchor. The purpose of the bottom incision of the anchor (toward the crease of the breast) is to shorten the distance from the nipple/areola to the crease under the breast. The droopier the breast the longer this distance is and the more this distance needs to be shortened. The anchor is better suited for the longer distance situation. An in-person evaluation with a plastic surgeon will help you determine which procedure would benefit you the most. If your surgeon recommends the anchor procedure, inquire if he or she uses the I.D.E.A.L. breast lift approach for the anchor. Hope this helps and good luck. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Is the anchor cut my only option for a breast lift

The anchor incision will give you the greatest degree of lift and reshaping of your breast tissue. A shorter incision will limit that

Julio Garcia, MD

Anchor or lollipop scar for mastopexy or breast lift

There are patients in my practice that have long, asymmetric breasts that may have been similar to yours.  These patients have primarily opted for an anchor scar to really lift the breast and remove some excess tissue to make it more symmetric. But we have done measurements and an exam to make sure this is the best option. Sometimes we can do a lollipop if patients have good skin quality and don't need to be lifted very much. Make sure to go to a board certified, experienced plastic surgeon for this evaluation.

Breast lift

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a wise pattern breast lift.  This can be designed to result in an improved shape and contour of your breasts while minimizing scar appearance.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

The Horndeski Method breast lift is another option

Thank you  for your question and helpful photo. 

Attached is an example of what can be achieved with THM without using breast implants or needing the vertical incision. Breast weight is transferred to the chest muscles for an active lift and long term results. Perkiness/upper pole fullness is created using your own tissue without the risks/complications and maintenance associated with breast implants. Nipple sensitivity is preserved along with the ability to breast feed. I hope this helps. 

Best wishes and kind regards, 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy with Anchor Lift

Loooking at your picture I believe you will best benefit from a full breast lift with implants. You have a third degree of ptosis which is the most severe degree of sagging.

In that condition if you want the best results the anchor scar would work best!

Good luck 

Breast lift

Hello and thank you for the question and the photos. Your photo shows sagging or ptosis of the breast. I would suggest a full mastopexy using the anchor type incision is the best option. This will give you the best ability to lift and reshape the breasts. 

The surgery takes about 2 hours under full anesthesia (can't do this awake ) . It is performed in an outpatient surgical center. In our center, the fee is 7k for a breast lift. This includes anesthesia, surgery center, doctor fees, and follow up visits. 

I would normally recommend patients taking 1 - 2 weeks off of work and about a month out of the gym.

You should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons in your area before proceeding. 

As always it is best to be healthy, no smoking, and if you have any health problems they are under the current management of your primary care physician.

Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Is the anchor cut my only option for a breast lift?

Only after IN PERSN examinations, discussion & measurements can a determination if a full anchor lit is indicated. Only seeing a oblique posted photo will not allow a decision...I think yes you might need the full lift incisions but not sure...

Vertical or anchor lifts would probably be appropriate based upon the picture presented above.