Will adding more saline to a breast that has a fold cause it to be more firm and/or bigger? (photo)

I had a revision a yr ago 325 to 425. I am very happy with the results. Unfortunately i have a fold in right breast that u can feel but only see when I lay down. I have 425 in my right and 450 in my left. He wants to add saline to breast to fill out that fold. But my concern is that it will be bigger and firmer than my other breast. I do not like the fake look. And I do not want them to be hard. I would like your opinion on what my Dr wants to do. Should I go a little smaller instead?

Thanks for the great question and the photo. What you're describing is rippling. Rippling is more common in saline implants, especially those place above the muscle. Although adding more saline to the implant may help reduce the rippling, you are correct in that it will give you a firmer breast on that side. One of the benefits of silicone implants is that they tend to not ripple quite as much as saline implants. The newer generation implants like the Allergan Inspira or the Sietra 107 are still soft, yet have a firm gel which is less likely to develop palpable rippling. In my opinion, if the surgeon is planning on doing another surgery to fill the implant, I would see if they would just be able to change to silicone instead of saline. Best of luck!

~Dr. Sieber

Saline implants - rippling and filling.

What you are describing is rippling. If you add saline to the implant it will decrease the rippling but the implant will be more projecting and firmer. Saline implants are designed to be overfilled by 10-20% in order to reduce rippling, so this is a standard practice. Silicone implants provide less rippling than saline implants, but they are more expensive and require some monitoring to identify ruptures. 

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant revision - more saline, new implants or leave it alone?

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.

• There isn't a right or wrong here - it is what you think is best for you.
  • Assuming that the fold is visible rippling of the implant, more saline may soften the rippling but wil make you a bit larger and firmer.
  • Removing both implants and going smaller, with saline or gel implants is another option -
  • Saline is reasonable if you didn't see rippling with the smaller implants.
  • Or leaving the implants in place but placed internal mesh or ADM to cover the rippling is another option.
  • Or since you are happy with the implants, you can do nothing and accept the visible rippling as the trade-of of an other wise good result.
  • Since you had this second surgery only a year ago, unless you are sure what is best for you, it makes sense to wait until you are sure.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS