is 55 too young for a facelift? (Photo)

Age is not always the best indicator for a facelift. You don't need a facelift at age 55, while others your age may

Most people think that a full facelift is a procedure that starts from the top of the head all the way to the bottom of the neck. They think it includes a brow, eyelid, cheeks, the jawline and the neck. However, the reality is that a facelift and a neck lift are two separate procedures. A facelift lifts the cheek, improves the jawline and part of the neck ,while a necklift is a more extensive procedure involving the lower part of the neck. In a facelift, we are addressing sagging cheek skin, jowls, loss of definition of the jaw line and also the loose skin under the chin.

In our practice, we have operated on patients who are as young as 37 and as old as 87. After looking at your photo, I don’t think you are a candidate for a facelift. 55-years-old is not too young for a facelift, but in your case it is. Age is not always the best indicator of when one becomes a candidate for a facelift. Chances are you would not have much movement after the skin is pulled upwards. You can do a simple test called the mirror lift by lifting the side of your face and see if the jawline has improved. If there isn’t that much movement, then there really isn’t much for me to do.

In addition, different ethnicities and skin types age differently. Very light-skinned Caucasian patients with blue eyes like patients of Irish descent have skin that tends to be thinner and tends to sag when they are younger. Darker skin types like of African descent have very thick skin, where there’s volume and tone. Procedures such as face lifting surgery may be done later in their 60s or beyond. With ethnicity, there is a lot of blending so it’s hard to decide when to have a facelift. Age is not necessarily the strongest indicator but rather it is how the face looks at a given stage.

I think you should move forward with meeting with doctors and articulating what it is that is bothering you about your face. I think that with the single photo that you’ve submitted, there is no evidence of a jawline that needs better definition or excess neck skin. I would say that you are not a candidate for a facelift. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck, and thank you for question.

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

When to have a facelift

In short, no-
I have had  patients undergo a facelift in their early 40s with excellent results.

Deciding when to have a facelift depends on several factors.
The most important determinant is when your anatomy has developed features that could be improved by a facelift and when you are ready to make a change. Lower face laxity, jowling and neck skin redundancy and banding are the most common reasons to have a facelift.

I would recommend consulting with a cosmetic facial plastic surgeon to evaluate if you are a facelift candidate and if the time is right for you.

Mark Hamilton, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too young

55 is not too young for a facelift but it is about life years but more how you have aged with time. You seem to have very good skin quality with minimal aging changes and if you are considering surgery I would advise consulting with a PS who can take you through all areas of facial rejuvenation including the benefits of non surgical treatments. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

When is it the correct time for a facelift?

When deciding if it is time for a facelift, patients should be less concerned about their actual age and make the decision based off of the appearance and signs of aging on the face. The goals of a facelift should be to tighten underlying soft tissue and muscle tissue, to elevate and remove excess skin, and to restore volume with fat grafting, if needed. Alternatively, if you are not ready for a surgical facelift, there are many non-surgical facelift options available, like fillers, Botox and Ulthera, to enhance your features.

I recommend consulting with a facelift expert and discussing the areas of your face that concern you and your overall anti-aging goals. This will help determine what sort of facelift procedure will benefit you most.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

What is the right age for a facelift

There is no "right" age for a facelift. Every person and every face is different. Some people are ready for some form of facial surgery early, and others are not ready until they are much older.  You face is very youthful and you seem to have excellent skin quality. Only a n in person consultation, or an email consultation with many more photos would allow a plastic surgeon to know what, if anything would be right for you at this time.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Is 55 too young for a facelift?

No.  It is actually in the sweet spot for a facelift.  

Age is less important that what you can see on examination.  If we see things we can improve then we can consider addressing them.  

Good luck.

Appropriate Age for Facelift

Patients frequently ask whether they are too young or too old for a facelift.  There is no absolutely correct age for a facelift.  I tell my patients that if they are in good health and if my examination confirms the anatomical aging changes that bother the patient, then he/she is a good candidate.  It really depends on whether, in the surgeon's judgement, surgery can meaningfully improve those aging changes.  Skin looseness with sagging of the face and neck is the most common change that people seek improvement for.  However, from your photo, it seems that your skin tone is good without much laxity, so it might be appropriate to discuss the option of fillers to improve slight depression in the area between the corners of your mouth and the jawline, the so-called marionette fold depression.  Often, fillers can smooth out folds, camouflage aging changes, and create a more youthful appearance.  A very modest mini-lift might also be considered in your case.  I see patients from their 30's through their 80's interested in improvement of aging facial changes.  Fortunately, there are a variety of surgical and non-surgical approaches that will help, so it is important to have a thorough discussion with an experienced plastic surgeon about all your options and just what you are hoping to achieve.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

55 is not too young for a facelift.  Everybody is very different.  It all depends on genetics, environment,
lifestyle and our realistic expectations on how we are aging.  You may be aging exceptionally well and only need fillers and botox to enhance your look. It depends if you will get enough improvement to be worth having
a surgery.  A facelift is a great way to turn back the hands of time, you will always be ahead of the game!

Hope this helps!

Robert S. Kagan, MD
Elk Grove Village Plastic Surgeon

Is 55 too young for a facelift? (Photo)

Hi and thank you for,your question. 55 is absolutely not too young for a facelift. The correct age for a facelift will depend on each individual patient. I have patients whom I have performed fav lifts on at the age of 40, yet have some others that have undergone the procedure at age 80.

IMHO the ideal time to undergo a facelift is sooner rather than later. Most of the face lifts I performed are women in the 45-60 year old range. The younger patents have better elasticity and the changes are much more subtle. The older the patient the more drastic the change. 

Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in facelift surgery. Remember this is your face....can't cover it up! Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. We accomodate patinets from as far away as California. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

Give yourself the highest percentage of a sucssesful operation. Good luck

55 is not too young for facelift.

Fortunately you do not look her stated age. You should talk your plastic surgeon about what to expect from a facelift which will help you decide whether or not it's worth proceeding at your stage in life.