At 5'2 and 97 lbs, should I go with a 250cc or 275cc silicon breast implant for a natural look?

I am very petite & after kids have next to nothing left. I'm 5'2 and 97 lbs. My PS is suggesting 275cc to give me a full B, he said maybe a 32C, but when I try on the sizers 275cc seems so big and 250cc seems perfect. They said because I am going under the muscle that 275cc will give the look more like the 250cc sizer that I like. I am so on the fence as to what size is I should do. I fully trust my surgeon, he is "The Guy" in my area, but I don't want my implants to be overly obvious.

Dimensional planning

Your worrying about 25ccs or less than 2 tablespoons or 1/8th of a cup size. Focus on the look not the cc or cup size. Bra's vary from store to store, and cc's mean nothing in isolation. You should be measured during your consult and offered implants within a 5mm window of those measurements in multiple styles. For what's its worth, in my experience a dimensionally sound mod+ profile tends to go from an A+/B- to the magical full C or small D. A high profile (or SRF) would be about 100ccs larger to maintain the same base width and more like a Full D but VS will call it a DD or DDD, particularly in a 32-34. Ultimately, try on the different styles and look in the mirror. When you see the look you like pick that style! This requires a consult, exam, measurements and sizing with a board certified plastic surgeon. My patients select the implant style and their chest dimensions dictate the number of cc's. I make specific recommendations to each and every of the augmentation patients I see annually based on: 1) dimensional planning 2) expressed goals 3) amount and quality of tissue to hide the implant. I have included a link with my explaination of the different implants and what to expect from your consult. Best of luck.

Picking the right implant to acheive your goals

Although a physical exam is really needed to make any meaningful recommendations, generally speaking, I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Houston, TX

If you feel that the 250 cc breast implant sizer was perfect then you should insist on having that size.

I do not believe that placing the implant beneath the muscle requires adding an additional 25 cc to the implant.  Once your implants settle a 250 cc should look as full under the muscle as it would under the breast.

25 cc difference

A 25 cc difference is not a large amount.  I will say that most patients if they are not happy with their size usually want to go bigger.

250cc or 275cc Breast Implants

There are many variables which go into determining breast implant sizing. The starting point is for your surgeon to measure your existing breast dimensions and to evaluate the various characteristics of your breast "soft tissue envelope."  The next step is for you to convey your sizing goals and appearance expectations to your surgeon. I personally don't think you would notice anything more than a very subtle difference between 250cc and 275cc implants. Keep in mind that the 25cc difference is basically only one and a half tablespoons of volume. Best of Luck!

25 mL, or not

You need to consider that 25 mL is less than tablespoons of volume. You probably wouldn't be able to tell much difference in overall appearance of these two volumes. It seems you would be happy with either volume, and probably would not be able to tell postoperatively which ones you got. You should just go with your gut feeling and understand there is only a nuance of difference. Going into surgery, patients are almost never absolutely sure that they have chosen the right volume, but the satisfaction rate is very high.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

250 vs 275

I agree that the difference will really not make a significant change in your result.  The first 200 cc is going to give you 80% of your result.   On the other hand, since the difference is small, there should be no reason for your surgeon to push the bigger implant.  bigger is not always better--see attached!  good luck

25 cc

I am a firm believer that the patient should play an active role in the implant size selection.  That you know that you want somewhere between 250cc and 275cc is great!  25 cc is a very small amount - about the size of a shot glass!  Even in a very small patient, I don't think 25 cc will make a very big (noticeable) difference.  I would ask your ABPS board certified surgeon to further discuss

Joshua Lampert, MD,FACS

Listen to your surgeon! Only 25 cc difference is nothing... Maybe you need more in person evaluations than just 'the guy' PS???

Which size implant

This is your procedure so I would suggest going with what you feek comfortable with because this is for you and no one else.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon