22 days after BA, and I have pain on my right breast when standing up. Is it normal? (Photo)

Before my BA my breasts were asymmetrical (left bigger). I have 450cc unders, incision in the crease. I have a sharp pain in my right breast that pulls from the cleavage. I went back to the clinic but the doctor there said it's normal. Take ibuprofen twice a day. Ibuprofen is not working. The pain only goes away when laying down or when holding my right breast up. Could it be related to tissues, the pocket, the muscle or tendons? Please help me. I'm about to ask for a second opinion this week

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photos.  It appears that your breast implants are still sitting high on your chest and therefore need to drop into place.  Over the next couple months, your breasts should drop further as well as reduce in swelling.  With these changes should also come an alleviation of pain.  Please continue to follow the instructions of your surgeon as you move forward in the healing process.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

22 days after BA, and I have pain on my right breast when standing up. Is it normal?

Very common to have perineurial sensory pain after surgery. In my patients I inject PIT subdermally in the pain areas. Fee $200/session (most need 2 sessions). Ask your surgeon if OK to come and receive this. I have excellent results immediately... 

Post Op Breast Pain

It is normal to have pain after breast augmentation especially with larger implants like you have. More pain in one breast is also typical and can take several weeks to resolve. I find that by 8 weeks most of the implant has settled, there tends to be less stretching of the tissues and the discomfort subsides. You may benefit from muscle relaxers or possibly additional pain medication if Motrin and Tylenol are not working for you. Best of luck with your recovery...

James E. Hardy, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Pain post aug

This should go done and may be due to swelling on that right side.Little sensory nerves may be swollen causing some discomfort.Heat and massage also may help.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Pain after breast augmentation.

It is common to have unusual pains in various areas around the Breast after breast augmentation. Typically these all go away with time. I would suggest calling your plastic surgeon so they can make sure everything is okay.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation post op, some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.

It's normal to have swelling and pain at this point of your post op.
In my practice, after performing a breast augmentation I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast Augmentation Recovery

It can take up to 3-6 months for your breasts to fully heal so yes, your pain is definitely normal. Follow your doctor's instructions and if the pain increases, then get a second opinion if only to ease your mind. 

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Discomfort after sub muscular breast augmentation is greater and longer than sub glandular.

Discomfort even at three weeks is sometimes seen with sub muscular breast augmentation. Treatment is symptomatic and symptoms should improve as the days pass.

I appreciate your question.

Please contact your Surgeon so he/she can examine you and switch you from ibuprofen to a different medication.  Sounds like from what you are describing you are experiencing some muscle spasms which can occur during the post op period.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr Schwartz

Normal healing

At this point in your recovery, it is much too soon to be worried about the outcome. It takes time for the implants to settle into position and the skin and muscle to stretch out to accommodate the new implant. It may be 6 months or more before the shape has reached its final look. Be patient. It does not sound serious.  It is not tendons or muscles or tissue or the pocket.  It is most likely that you are just recovering from surgery.  If a bra helps, were a bra.  A second opinion won't probably be very useful, but might put your mind at ease.