I'm 11 days post op, mommy makeover, I still have my drains, and I've developed a Seroma. (photos)

I had a mommy makeover on 6/14/16 in Miami. I have returned to my home state. I still have my tummy tuck drains, but I've developed a Seroma. What can I do? Should I have the fluid pushed towards the drains? Should I have it aspirated? Please help. I live in a small town in Arkansas, and doctors don't like dealing with cosmetic surgery.

See your surgeon

Please check with your surgeon as your surgeon is the best person to answer that question. Without knowing your medical history it is difficult to help you.

Good luck!

Dr derby

It is very important to contact your plastic surgeon in Miami. He or she should also help you since you were sent home before removal of the drains. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Mommy make-over - now have a seroma

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• First of all, contact your Miami plastic surgeon - s/he must have a plan since you were sent home with drains.
  • Second, if s/he can't help, find a plastic surgeon or at least a general surgeon nearer who can see you.
  • This is not something you can manage yourself -
  • To find a plastic surgeon, go to the website of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and search for plastic surgeons nearest your zipcode.
  • All members will be Board Certified -
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

I've developed a seroma after 11 days.

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend finding a board certified plastic surgeon near you for an in-person evaluation to confirm your seroma and offer treatment recommendations, typically aspiration.  From your photographs a true seroma is not clearly evident as some swelling above the incision line after a tummy tuck is common.  I am attaching a link below that will help you find surgeon's near you.  Hope this helps. 

11 days post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (11 days post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

TT drains

Hello and thank you for your question. Creating the vacuum in the drains collectors frequently (every 30-60 min) during the day is important. Your drains could be removed soon depending on the amount of fluid collected each day. Seroma can infrequently develop even in the presence of drains. An examination of your abdomen will shed light as to whether there is a seroma or not. Suggest to call your surgeon.

Richard J. Lung, MD