I had silicon injections in my lips in 2002. Now they are swollen & deformed and they hurt. Will kenalog injections help?(photo)

Silicon injections in lips

Regards, Dr Carlos Alberto Rios regrets that you have been victim of the terrible practice of biopolymers. 

For your information, in 1898 Dr. Robert Gersuny, Austrian surgeon, injected paraffin into the scrotum of a patient who was orquiectomizado (testicles removed). Here began the history of the injection of external substances to give volume to the face and body. This practice became very popular and now, there are whole chapters in plastic surgery books that explain how to try to correct and rebuild the serious effects of the application of paraffin. 

In your case, kenalog injections have no effect on biopolymers; the Kenacort can help with the fibrous tissue that is generated around the injury when it is used in very low doses, very diluted, but inflammation quickly returns and the effect of the drug is lost. In addition, the drug can damage healthy tissues around the injury, then, its use is not recommended in your case, let alone its continued application. Therefore, your situation must be solved with a surgical procedure. 

Please remember to be aware, do not let any permanenrt filler to be injected into your face, breast, buttocks, calfs, genitalia, etc. The safest way to increase buttocks is through your own fat injections or through silicone implants.

I hope the information was usefull, have a nice day! Dr Carlos Rios.

Removal of silicone from the lips is possible

Our office specializes in the removal of silicone from the face and body. Some patients are not candidates for surgical excision, but there are other options for the management for inflammation and foreign body reaction. Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS