Is it okay to travel after a Tummy tuck?

I have abdominoplasty surgery in November , but I have a trip 15 days later, the doctor said there was no problem because a thin and fit, but I still have my doubts. They believe that a good idea Journey ago ?

Travel restrictions

After tummy tuck surgery, I advise the patients to take two weeks off from work. The patients may return to work, but may not engage in any strenuous activity. At two months, the patients start low impact cardio. At three months they can engage in more strenuous physical activity. If anything hurts or causes swelling, we ask them to back off somewhat. If you exercise or do some particular activity that results in pain or swelling you are doing too much for your personal recovery at that time.  Not everyone heals the same.  You need to make sure that you don’t cause more swelling.  Fighting the swelling or working through the pain will certainly backfire. I prefer the patients to stay in town for two weeks if they from more than 2-3 hours away.  I do not allow patients to fly before 2 to 3 weeks at the very minimum.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.For my patients, I recommend that they do not travel for 2-4 weeks following surgery depending on the extent of the procedure. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon

Traveling post tummy tuck

Thank you for your question! In my practice, I advise my patients to take it easy for a minimum of two weeks, while regaining the laxity and movement in the abdominal skin again.  Sometimes it can take about that long to stand upright again. I believe you are right to question your ability following surgery, you do know your pain tolerance best.  Of course it does depend on what kind of trip it is- if its a relaxing trip, lots of laying around and recovery, that is one thing.  If it's supposed to be filled with activity and excitement, I'd say you may not feel up to it only after 15 days.  Be honest with your surgeon and with yourself about what you think you can handle.Best of luck in your procedure and recovery.

Fred Hackney, MD

Two weeks. Not a good

I would share your concerns.  The tummy tuck operation is a major operation with a significant recovery,  often both physical and emotional, underestimated by patients (and surgeon this case).  For example, 15 days post, even the most fit patient will be likely be back to 60 to 70% of their strength/stamina.  This will not be conducive to traveling.  Keep in mind that you will also have limitation of many activities that may hinder you as you travel.
 Be careful with your decision-making. Best wishes.

Travel

There is no way to know at this point if you could travel 15 days after surgery.  This will depend on where you are going, how long is the trip, and what you are planning to do.  Also, every patient heals at a different rate.  Most of my patients return to work 2 weeks after surgery.  Your surgeon is the best one to answer your questions as he should know your medical history and the extent of your procedure.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

SAFETY

You have to acknowledge there are described very specific measures for SAFETY before, during and after surgery, and the most feared complication is the blood clots.So before surgery you have to be prepared to avoid dehydration, so you have to drink a lot of water, avoid constipation, wear compression stockings during your trip, arrive to your destination at least full 24 hours prior surgery.During surgery we use intermittent compression devices for the limbs, early activity (little walking) right after surgery. After surgery the use for at least 4 days but ideally 7 of blood thinners and all of the before measures, compression stockings for at least 3-4 weeks.If your doctor has all of the above measures to prevent complications, plus all of the surgical safety measures, then nothing to be worried about travel 2 weeks after surgery.Dr. Cardenas