Slushing sound in breasts 1 year after augmentation, is this normal? Or should I be worried.

I had augmentation a little over a year ago and everything has been just fine. But last week I went on vacation and swam on the beach a lot, for five days straight. When I flew back home I noticed that when I move my breasts I can hear a slushing sound, like there's a bit of air and water inside, they don't hurt or anything and they look the same size. Is it something to worry about? I'm a little concerned.

Saline implants and slushing sounds

I assume that you have had salt water filled or saline implants as these are known to cause this issue due to the air/liquid interface 

it is not a serious causes for concern but does not occur with silicon

Breast augmentation - implants have a strange sound after a year

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• This change definitely needs to be evaluated by your surgeon -
  • If I were your surgeon, I would also want an ultrasound study.
  • Something has changed and you have reason to be a little concerned.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Slushing sound in breasts

hi i would like to know if you had a saline filled implant or a silicone cohesive gel implant,slush sounds are definitely abnormal,please meet your doctor,if need be he will advise an USG or an MRI,rupture is a possibility

Thangavel Ayyappan, MBBS, MS, MCh, DNB
India Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Unfortunately, this can’t really be determined without a physical examination from your doctor and possibly an ultrasound of the breast. There is a possibility that the implant has ruptured and is leaking so I would certainly go get an evaluation as you may need a revision to take out the ruptured implant and place a new one in. I hope this helps.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Sloshing Sound In Breast Implants

If your breasts had had this sound from the get-go, I'd be less concerned. It would just mean that the implants were underfilled at the time of your initial surgery. But what you have expressed is a change. I recommend a follow-up visit to your plastic surgeon for evaluation. It's possible you may have a leak and the reduced volume is causing that sloshing sound. Best of luck to you!

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Slushing Sound in Breasts

If you have saline implants this could be due to a leak. I recommend an in-person exam with your Plastic Surgeon to determine what is going on.

All the best 

Slushing in breasts

Thanks for your question.

You don't mention what type of implants you have had but the only reason for this sound is that you have saline implants that have lost some volume and so now there is room for th liquid inside to move around and produce these sounds! 

You may have a leaking implant so best to see your PS and discuss.

Best wishes 

Gerard Lambe, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon