Is there really anything proving that polyurethane implants are dangerous?

I got polyurethane implants in Europe 4 years ago but a friend recently told me that polyurethane causes cancer. I've been doing a lot of research and found a study done by the FDA that said that 2,4 TDA was found on the urine of women with polyurethane implants but none was found in their blood. What does that mean? How can it be in their urine but not in their blood? Also: Can it be found on breast milk? I'm very confused.

Breast augmentation operation is performed in order to increase the size of breast. Size and shape of breasts can often play a critical role in a woman’s self-esteem. Fuller and bigger breasts are often associated with reproducibility therefore it is a desired condition. There are different kinds of breast augmentation operation types. Breast augmentation can be performed either with breast implants or autologous fat transfer. There are also different types of breast implants like teardrop or round implants. These implants also can be placed under or above the muscle. As you can imagine there are several different options for breast augmentation. The best way to understand which one is more suitable for you is to get a physical examination by a plastic surgeon.

It is important for you to understand that you don’t always need a breast implant for breast augmentation. As it was also mentioned above you can also get bigger and natural breasts with Cihantimur Fat Transfer method. In this method we use own fat tissue of the patient in order to increase the size of the breast. Since this tissue is your own tissue there is no risk for any adverse effects. It is safe and fast operation that yields natural results without any incision.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Polyurethane implants are used in other countries then the USA

They have been found to be effective. When they degrade they can cause significant tissue reaction. Usually they have a lower incidence of capsular contracture. No need to worry. Enjoy them if you have them, see an experienced plastic surgeon if you want to change them or remove them.

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

There no proof

There are a lot of implants that got a bad rap from crappy science in the past.  This happened to regular silicone gel implants as well.  Polyurethane implants may be making a comeback worldwide.  Many surgeons outside the US love them for their very low rate of capsular contracture. So they are likely safe -- just make sure your surgeon checks out too.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon