Is this a good way to correct my breasts? (photo)

I just turned 19 and went to see a local PS because I want to correct my breasts. I don't necessarily want them bigger, just normal round/perky breasts for a girl my age. He suggested a vertical lift with a 275-300cc R. Texturized Low profile breast implant on the subfascial position and maybe some fat grafting to cleavage. (He suggested over the muscle because when he asked me to flex my Pecs they moved a lot so if he were to place them under, it could turn to be a problem). What do you think?

Breast lift with augmentation

You would most likely get the best result with a full breast lift and breast augmentation. Please seek an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. Be sure to express your goals and expectations to your chosen surgeon. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck!

Dean Vistnes, MD. 

Vistnes Plastic Surgery 

San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #breastlift #breastaugmentation

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

You look like a good candidate for a Breast Lift with Implant. The Implant will make the breast with fullness.  

High profile are taller and narrower implants when compared to moderate profile implants of the same volume.The decision is usually based on the patient breast dimensions, amount of breast that the patient can contribute to the projection and I also factor the patients desires. I try my best to also respect the skin quality and elasticity in order to prevent future drooping due to unnecessarily heavy implants.

over or under muscle doesn't dictate what size implant we can use.  The muscle coverage is helpful in very thin patients and seems to reduce capsular contracture according to some scientific studies. Under the breast tissue is the most natural feel and has a less chance of animation deformity when the pectoralis muscle contracts. In most instances only the top implant is covered by muscle and the reset of the implant ends up under the breast tissue.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Breast Lift and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.  Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.

Is this a good way to correct my breasts?

When I see a patient with an anatomy similar to yours I am usually thinking in terms of a modest sized partial subpectoral breast implant combined with a full uplift with a limited inframammary crease incision.  Not only would your droopiness be exaggerated by implants alone but the asymmetry and width of your areolae would probably be increased.  The potential for improvement is excellent so do your research carefully and make sure you are comfortable with your selected board-certified plastic surgeon before proceeding.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Augmentation Mastopexy

There is so much to discuss; too much to do so in this forum.  However, I can tell you that 'subfascial' implant placement has not been shown to be any different than subglandular placement of an implant. I think small, subpectoral implants will not be disturbed by pectoralis movement, and give you all the benefits of subpectoral placement. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

From the photo you appear to have asymmetrical breasts that are sagging and small in volume. You would benefit from a breast lift and implants. You would need to be examined to get into more details as well as being to fully understand your goals. You should consult with a Board Certified PS with lots of experience correcting this type of problem. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Obtaining Normal Round/Perky Breasts

With the picture and what you have told us, I would discuss this again. You do need a lift to obtain the perkiness you desire. You, probably also need a small implant to help fill out the breast. However, since you "don't necessarily want them bigger," a 275-300 cc implant is probably a little too large since that size will definitely increase your breast size. I do agree that a sub glandular textured implant would be best, but I would not place them sub fascial as this only complicates things and has no real proven benefit. The central fat grafting is outside your initial parameters, but reasonable. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Several options

You will benefit from breast surgery to improve the overall shape of your breasts.  The skill and experience of the surgeon will determine the exact type of surgery.

Whether the implants or placed above or below the muscle, textured or smooth, round or shaped, and the type of lift will make little clinical difference.  Each surgeon will have their own way to achieve the best results.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Thank you for following and the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you will benefit from breast augmentation/lifting surgery. 

There are pros and cons to the placement of breast implants in the “sub muscular” position versus the "sub glandular position”.    I will try to outline some of the differences here;  you may find the attached link helpful as well.

I think it is in the best interests of most patients seeking breast augmentation surgery to have implants placed in the “dual plane” or sub muscular position.  This positioning allows for more complete coverage of the breast implants leading to generally more natural feel/look  of the implants in the long-term. This position will also decrease the potential for rippling and/or palpability  of the implants (which may increase with time, weight loss, and/or post-pregnancy changes). The submuscular positioning  also tends to interfere with mammography less so than breast implants in the sub glandular position. The incidence of breast implant encapsulation (capsular  contraction)  is also decreased with implants placed in the sub muscular position. 

On the other hand,  sub glandular breast implant positioning does not have the potential downside of “animation deformity” ( movement/ distortion of the breast implants  seen with flexion of the  pectoralis major muscle)  that can be seen with breast implants placed in these sub muscular position.

Generally speaking, patients undergoing the breast augmentation/lifting combination operation should understand that it is significantly more complex than breast augmentation surgery only and that it is associated with will a significantly higher risk of complications and need for additional surgery.  Again, it will be important that you educate yourself regarding the pros/cons/risks/complications associated with breast augmentation/lifting surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation/lifting surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast assymmetry

Correcting asymmetric breasts can be challenging. You have options available to you including placing implants either below or above the muscle.  There are advantages and disadvantages to both of these options.  The longer lasting option is placing the implants below the muscle as implants above  the muscle will only cause your breasts to droop  further with time. Depending on which option you choose (and you simply don't have to go with a large implant) will determine the number of the incisions  that are required to make them symmetric.  Have your surgeon go over each of these options for you showing you where incisions would be necessary.

Gerald L. Yospur, MD
Mesa Plastic Surgeon