Is this before and after of the chin more realistic with a chin implant or sliding genioplasty? (photos)

I recently asked similar question on real self about this, but failed to word it correctly. I am having a few surgeries at once, however I don't want to "settle" for a chin implant if it will not give me the best results compared to sliding genioplasty. I also do not want to have a more expensive surgery and also more healing time if a chin implant can do the exact same thing. Is this computer imaging realistic with a chin implant alone? (front view) & side.

Candidate for a Chin Augmenatation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision:
Candidates for Chin Augmentation -
Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation.

Chin Augmentation

With your facial type and the type of vertical and horizontal chin augmentation change you are showing, a sliding genioplasty would give a better chin shape result.

Chin implant procedure for realistic results

A chin implant procedure is performed for patients who have a weak and recessive chin profile. The chin implant creates more projection, width, and slight amount of vertical height to accomplish augmenting the chin area. Chin implants are placed under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure which takes approximately 30 minutes. Computer imaging can be performed in your surgeon's office to get an idea of what can be accomplished with the procedure. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Chin implant vs genioplasty

If the problem is just a short, narrow chin, then an implant would be my preferred approach.  Its easier, less costly, quicker recovery , cheaper, less risk than genioplasty and it can be done under local anesthesia. For me, its a no-brainer.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Before and after of the chin more realistic with a chin implant or sliding genioplasty?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years. From the photos, your chin is weak. A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty. I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone. In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.