How long can last a crown?

Hello, I have a crown that was made 2 years ago and now I'm 25. My fear is that the crown can take off and need a redone crown. How long can it lasts if it's made of zirconium? And would I have an infection by now if the caries wouldn't be completely removed at the beggining of the treatment? Will I need a root canal treatment if I have to redone my crown in the future? How difficult is to replace a crown? And how damage can it do to the tooth?

How long does a #crown last? DrSoftTouch

Hello there,
I tell my patients to expect 20+ years with the crowns I do, but ultimately several important factors determine the life of a crown. How much tooth structure there is to support the crown, bite forces (Are you a grinder and/or clencher?), and oral hygiene practices are all important factors that determine how long a crown will last. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100

How long can last a crown?

On average, dental crowns last between five and 15 years. The life span of a crown depends on the amount of "wear and tear" the crown is exposed to, how well you follow good oral hygiene practices, and your personal mouth-related habits (you should avoid such habits as grinding or clenching your teeth, chewing ice, biting fingernails, and using your teeth to open packaging). A crown can be easily re-done. I does require some additional trimming to make a new crown, but if the current crown is in good condition, then you will likely not need too much treatment. You are correct in thinking that every time a crown is removed and replaced it does have some affect on the health of the tooth. Re-doing a crown multiple times does increase the chance that the tooth may ultimately need a root canal.

Yocasta Caba, DDS
Dominican Republic Dentist

How Long Does A Crown Last?

A crown can last just a couple of years or the the rest of your life.  There are many factors determining this.  Things such as your bite, the amount of good tooth structure under the crown, oral hygiene, and materials all play a major role in determining the longevity of a crown.  Zirconium is a very strong material.