Do I Need Lower Bleph?

Im 32 years old and I have under Eye bags since I was 28 lately they are unbearable at least to me. I dont know if this can be adressed with fillers or I need something moré severe

Doctor Answers 10

Treatments for eye bags

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It's difficult to tell from that picture alone if you have any significant protrusion of fat under your eyes.  It there is fat protrusion, this can be addressed with surgery to remove some of the fat.  It can also be treated with fillers, like Restylane, placed below the bag.  If there is not a significant amount of fat protrusion and just a depression below the eye, then this can be improved with Restylane as well.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Lower bleph or Restylane

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without first assessing you in person, it is very difficult to answer your question.If you haven't already, meet with a reputable and well-trained injector in your area for options and education!

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 231 reviews

No Surgery, try Restylane...

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Restylane is a great option for treating your under eye area.  Please be sure you go to an experienced injector for this type of treatment.  I do not recommend surgery for you at this time, per your photo.


Dr. Grant Stevens        Marina Plastic Surgery Associates          Marina del Rey, CA         The Institute


Grant Stevens, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 152 reviews

Restylane under eyes can be helpful if the bags are not too extreme: otherwise, surgery.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Pinu, from your photo it appears that you may be a good candidate for under eye filler if carefully placed. It can take away the shadow under the bags and last a long time. You are very young (28) and have some time before you may require surgery. If you see a qualified, careful board-certified injector from the four core cosmetic specialties (dermatology, plastic surgery, oculoplastics, ENT/facial plastics) and allow the doctor to do a little at a time, you have a good chance of a great result.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Lower Bleph

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is difficult to tell by the photo, but if you have persistent bags under your eyes, lower lid blepharoplasty can help.  Patients are generally very happy with this procedure.  This is a much better long term solution (in my opinion) that a filler.

Marilyn Pelias, MD
New Orleans General Surgeon

No Bleph for you

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I don't think that surgery is what you need. You might be left with a hollowness that you would want to fill next. I agree with the doctor that said that a little popping out of cheek would be nice and I would put just a drop of Belotero or Restylane under eyes. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist
4.8 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

Lower blepharoplasty not necessary for minor tear trough.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


1)  It looks to me like all you need is very skilfully done filler 

2)  Tiny amounts of Juvederm Ultra or Restylane injected deeply under the muscle will create a smooth plane between your lower lids and your cheeks (more on the right).

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon

Hyaluronic acid fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would suggest hyaluronic acid fillers in your tear trough over a bleph. That will help soften the transition from your lower eyelid to your cheek. Your tear trough is not severe, so you shouldn't need much product. Fillers in the tear trough area can last a year or longer, so its a great investment without much/any downtime.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Saint Louis Dermatologic Surgeon

A far better choice for you would be lower eyelid fillers.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Remember that lower eyelid fillers is an art form.  Don't just go to a medspa for this.  You need to find an injector who really understands mid face anatomy and has an artful eye.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Bags under eyes and fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

While you could trim the fat bags under your eyes, I think that is not your real problem.  You have a flattened cheek bone that makes the bag under your eye show.  You need some filler in your cheek to bring it in harmony with your lower eyelid and then a very careful fill under your eye in the groove very deep, if still needed.

Filling the groove alone may give a second bulge and be displeasing, and your cheek will still look too flat.  Seek out a plastic surgeon with a lot of injecting experience for a consultation.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.