What can be done to correct an asymmetrical lip? (Photo)

I've noticed within the past year that the left half of my upper lip comes up noticeably higher than the right side. I'm not sure why this is but it's a great insecurity of mine and makes my smile look crooked and uneven. I had braces to correct a cross bite, so I'm not sure if that plays into the issue somehow. Is there anything that can be done to correct this?

Doctor Answers 4

Correcting Lip Asymmetry

Correcting lip asymmetry can be easily achieved with a small amount of Restylane or Juvederm carefully placed into the lips.  Sometimes these injections have to be done in stages to gauge the results so that the area is not too plump.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with these cosmetic injections.

New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Asymmetrical lip treatment

To correct the area of the upper lip that does not have as much volume, some well-placed lip injections should give a more even and natural appearance. Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm, Restylane, and Belotero can restore lost volume to the lips without looking too overdone. Repeat treatments can be performed as needed to maintain the results. I would recommend visiting a dermatologist who is a dermal filler expert in order to get the most ideal results.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

Lip asymmetry

Some lip asymmetry is normal, but it can be adjusted a bit with filler or fat grafts. Best of luck with moving forward.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Upper Lip Vermilion Deficiency

There is a vermilion volume deficiency on the right side of your upper lip. This can be improved by either fat injections or a dermal-fat graft placed into the deficient vermilion area.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD
Indianapolis Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.