How long do people usually have to take Accutane?

I was on Doxycycline for a few months, then Minocycline and my face was clear but recently I've been getting whiteheads and little acne spots here and there so I'm thinking of asking my dermo for Accutane but I also don't want to be on it for more than 3 months due to a procedure I will have 3 months afterwards. Is it possible to just be on it for 2/3 months depending on the severity or do I have to be on it for a certain amount of time for it to actually cure my acne?

Accutane dosing

Thank you for your question. Accutane (isotretinoin) dosing is based on an individual's weight, which is 1 mg per kilogram for a minimum of 4 months. Therefore, if you weigh 60 kg, then your minimum recommend total dose will be isotretinoin 60 mg per day for four months. But if you can only tolerate 30 mg daily due to side effects or lab abnormalities, then your therapy will be 8 months. Also, a side effect of Accutane is skin sensitivity and an increase risk in scarring; therefore, since your procedure coincides with Accutane therapy if you start now, then it would not be recommended to have your procedure, or you can postpone Accutane until after your procedure. I do not recommend starting Accutane and ending treatment early because the chances of acne recurrence is higher if you do not complete therapy. Either way, I highly recommend you consult with a board certified dermatologist regarding Accutane treatment and if you are a candidate. Take care and good luck.