How long before you can go back to a gym after having a body lift? (Photo)

After a year going from a size 32 (300lbs) to a size 12 (180lbs), I have developed loose skin on my upper arms, boobs, stomach, thighs all around and butt area. I would like it all removed and my current droopy 42DD implanted to a 46DDD. I miss those!! I don't care if it takes one surgery or ten surgeries. My goal is to lose to 150lbs before wasting someone's time but after surgery how do I maintain the muscles or build? Can I go back the gym? Any other advice seeing the pic would be helpful. :)

How long before you can go back to a gym after having a body lift?

If you heal very well, you may be able to return to the gym in 6 weeks.  

Body contouring after weight loss

Congrats on your awesome weight loss. I agree that you should get down or close to your goal weight prior to having any plastic surgery. It often takes several surgeries to correct all the areas you desire. You can start building that muscle right now by going to the gym This should continue after surgery when your surgeon says you can go back to the gym. Following surgery, I want patients walking immediately, but no real strenuous exercise for six weeks. Best of luck moving forward. Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon (not cosmetic surgeon) when you go for your consultations.

Joseph Michaels, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Body Lift/Body Contouring

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Body Lift

Thanks for your question. Congratulations on the weight loss! Most people who have lost that volume of weight are left with excess skin in the abdominal area, breasts, back, arms, legs, and chin. A lower body lift is a great place to start and would be a big change with the removal of a lot of excess skin. Recovery after a surgery of that degree is usually 6-8 weeks before you can be cleared to go back to the gym. I recommend you make an appointment with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area for a consultation.

Best wishes! 

Gregory Baum, MD
Syracuse Plastic Surgeon

Gym questions.

A good place to start is the body lift operation. Recovery is 4 to 6 weeks before you can go back to the gym. Be sure your at your goal weight and stable at least 6 months before surgery. It's not too early to start doing consultations and picking up tips about nutrition and other ways to have the best results from local plastic surgeons. Best, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD

Body Contouring after Massive Weight Loss

Congrats!! That's an awesome accomplishment. I definitely agree with having an open mind to staging your body contouring procedures. In my hands, your looking at 2-3 operations to optimize your safety and results. I'd wait 6 weeks on heavy lifting and rigorous exercise, and 3 weeks for a light walk around the neighborhood. Invest the time in recovery. 6 weeks is a short period of time to wait to avoid postoperative complications derived from returning to full speed too quickly. Best wishes.

Brian M. Derby, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon