I want my nose hump gone, is it possible just to shave it down? (Photo)

I'm not looking for a completely new looking nose, I would just like my nose straighter from the profile. Would would exactly would be entailed in rhinoplasty?

Is it possible to just shave down the hump?

This is a really common question...the advantage of seeking the consultation of a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon is that we can examine your nose from all angles and explain how one maneuver will make you look from all angles. This can also be accomplished visually in our consultation mirror and through photographs/ morphing software. I can tell you that taking down your hump only would not be possible. It will leave you with something called an "open roof", which means that the bones will also have to be incised and brought inward.  From this angle, you also appear to have something called a "tension nose", so this means that your septum and tip will need to be addressed for an optimal and long lasting outcome.  Lastly, an internal nasal exam will determine if airway work (septoplasty) is also required. While this sounds like a lot, these changes can be made in a conservative manner and you certainly wouldn't look like a different person. Good luck moving forward!

New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Dorsal hump removal

Thank you for the question and photo.  Yes, the dorsal hump can be reduced with a rhinoplasty.  However, just removing the hump often leads to a widened frontal view so narrowing of the nose is also needed in combination with a dorsal hump.  Another thing to consider is where the nose starts near the eyebrows.  It appears to be a little low there and so that area should be filled a little while the dorsal hump is reduced.  A non-surgical rhinoplasty may also be appropriate if you are ok with leaving behind a little appearance of the hump.All the best,Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Rhinoplasty for dorsal hump

rhinoplasty surgery can help lower the hump and help you achieve the outcomes you desire. As Facial Plastic Surgeon, I see patients with this concern quite often, and surgery for this is highly successful. Most patients have very little discomfort, and recovery can be is in as little as 1 week.  Best regards

Sean R. Weiss, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can I Just Shave My Nasal Hump

If you want the hump totally removed you will need to have osteotomies to reposition the nasal bones to avoid creating increased width of your bridge.The lower part of your hump is cartilage which can also be shaved or removed to achieve the ideal straight profile.

I want my nose hump gone, is it possible just to shave it down

From what you are describing as your desired changes, a hump reduction and a straighter nose, you will need the hump reduced and likely fracturing of the bones to close the dorsum so it does not look wide. If the nose is not straight due to your septum being deviated, than that will need to be repaired as well

Julio Garcia, MD

Rhinoplasty to shave down the dorsal hump

A closed rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the no. The dorsal hump is composed of both bone and cartilage which must be filed down. Osteotomies placed in the nasal bones are required to close the open roof created from the hump removal and narrow the bridge line. Some minor tip adjustments maybe needed to make sure that the tip balances with the new bridge line. A full set of photographs are required to make a determination about what may be needed in addition to an in-person examination. Rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult procedures to perform in the entire field of cosmetic surgery, so choose your surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience. Digital computer imaging performed in the office setting at the time of the consultation can give patients a really good idea what can be accomplished with the procedure. For more information and many rhinoplasty before and after results, please see the link and the video below 

Nose hump gone, is it possible just to shave it down?

The goal of good cosmetic rhinoplasty procedure is to produce harmony of the various anatomic components of the nose and your other facial features. In some patients with a good nasal tip and only a hump on the bridge, it is possible to just conservatively diminish the hump.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on a single photo and more importantly without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

What you want done is completely up to you.Rhinoplasty which typically starts at $5,500 depending on the area you live. To make sure you get the best possible result, the surgeon should perform a detailed exam of the nose and provide a realistic goal that you and your surgeon agree upon. Rhinoplasty are permanent, but with age facial features do change. Find a surgeon and go for a consult. Maybe try and see if the Dr can do photo imaging to show you what he or she can achieve.

Elliot M. Heller, MD