I Messes Up and Smoked two Cigarettes 5 Days Prior to Breast Lift Surgery. Do U Think I Will Be Ok?

Smoking 5 days prior to breast lift

Using tobacco products brings a significant risk of cancer, stroke, heat attack, etc. From a Plastic Surgery standpoint it is a vasoconstrictor. Wound healing is all about getting oxygen and needed entities to the wound. It is well known that patients who smoke have a tremendous increase in their rate of serious complications, (infections, wounds falling apart, etc.). Nicotine is the main vasoconstrictor, so getting a patch or lozenge of nicotine won't help the vasoconstriction. Best to be off the tobacco/nicotine entirely before surgery. A breast lift by definition places the wound on tension. Tension is also a risk factor for wounds. Please be honest with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Together you can make a plan. The amount of time to be nicotine free, (before and after the surgery), will depend on the procedure and the individual surgeon.

Smoking and BA

Most experts unanimously agree that smoking increases the rate of breast augmentation surgical complications significantly. Just about all plastic surgeons strongly recommend women to stop smoking and all nicotine products well in advance of breast augmentation with breast implants. Many plastic surgeons recommend stopping all tobacco products several months prior to surgery.
Here is the reason why: the nicotine in cigarettes and other tobacco products (including Nicorette gum, patches, etc) is a vasoconstrictor, meaning it makes the Smoking is a significant multiplier of many potential complications following surgery and breast augmentation with implants are no exception. Nicotine from smoking causes blood vessels to vasoconstrict ( tighten up). Over time, these constricted arteries and capillaries deliver less blood to the breast tissue which is needed for normal healing. Smokers therefore have an increased incidence of higher likelihood of complications such as infection, and in particular capsular contracture (hardening and distortion of the implants). General complications of surgery such as blood clots, anesthetic problems such as pneumonia are also increased.
A scientific article in the Archives of Internal Medicine indicated that, among all forms of surgery, quitting smoking eight weeks prior was never associated with an increased risk of complications.
In young patients you will probably statistically avoid these complications, why tempt fate by increasing your odds that something bad will happen.On a long term basis, smoking also causes accelerated aging of the skin and loss of elasticity. Hopefully these reasons will help give you the will power and courage to stop smoking.

Ask your surgeon

If patients do not stop smoking for at least 4 weeks before surgery, their surgery may be rescheduled. Please tell your surgeon that you've smoked two cigarettes a few days ago. They will determine whether it is safe to proceed with surgery.

Smoking and breast lift?

Hello! Thank you for your question! The issue with nicotine is that it also acts as a vasoconstrictor, clamping down of blood vessels. Blood supply is always of great concern during any surgical procedure, but especially in such a procedure as a mastopexy where the viability of the nipple-areolar complex is obviously important. Since the vascularity to the area is already tenuous since it will be raised by cutting around the area, maximizing blood flow to the tissue is critical.

Typically, we recommend at least 6 weeks of smoking cessation prior to and at least 6 weeks after any surgical procedure. The longer, the better. Nicotine always increases the risk for infection, nipple necrosis, and wound complications, as well as other health consequences. I would discuss this with your surgeon prior to your procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Smoking before Breast Lifting?

Unfortunately, feedback you received from online consultants will not be really meaningful. Only you and your plastic surgeon will be able to mutually decide whether proceeding with the planned procedure will be “okay”.  Make sure you stay away from the use of any type of nicotine product before and after the procedure is performed.

Smoking before surgery increases risk but is not an absolute contraindication.

Most surgeons request the patient's not smoke several weeks before and elective operation. Smoking increases surgical risk. In the in your surgeon will decide whether a few cigarettes before the operation is reason to postpone it.

Two Cigarettes 5 Days Prior to Breast Lift

Your plastic surgeon will have to make that decision based upon experience with problems of nipple areola necrosis, type of lift performed, etc.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Breast lift/ smoking

It's hard to say. You may get away with it but if you have necrosis (dead black tissue) of your nipple/ areola, you would wish that you hadn't risked it. I require that my patients be off of nicotine for 6 weeks before a breast lift. It's safer to wait.

Richard Dale Reynolds, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and smoking

I prefer that patients stop smoking 3-4 weeks prior to surgery and remain off them for at least 3-4 weeks after surgery.  If you smoked  a few cigarettes you will probably be ok, but it is always a good idea to check with your surgeon.

Smoked two Cigarettes 5 Days Prior to Breast Lift Surgery

You are probably OK. I wouldn't say that if you smoked a few days after surgery. Do check with your surgeon, though. Best wishes. This is big investment of money, and recovery time. Don't continue to take any unnecessary risks!