Doctor Recommendation for Gastric Bypass Revision: Hernia in Esophagus and Leaking Mesh

9 years ago I had a Rouen-Y gastric by pass, I lost 250lbs. I gained back 50, I wanted to loose the extra weight and add a lap band. I underwent surgery 0n Thursday and nothing was done, due to the fact that the mesh that was placed at the connection of the esophagus to the new stomach once leaked and the mesh and fat has attached itself to the liver and the new stomach. We also found out that I have a hernia in the esophagus, which is now located BEHIND the liver. I am at a loss where to turn.

I need help in finding a doctor to repair the mess. I am 63 and in good health now but what happens if in 10 years something goes terribly wrong and I won't be in the condition to go through another major surgery? If you know someone or someplace I could turn to I would appreciate your help.

Doctor Answers 1

Revision Gastric Bypass - in conjunction with hiatal hernia

In trying to approach this problem you may resort to the nearest medical center in your state. They "may" be able to help you deal with complex issues such as this one.  it s important to bring your operative report and any endoscopy results and upper GI results that you had in the past two years. This will be be important for decision making. You can also log on to and look for the nearest center of excellence surgeon in your area for an evaluation.  Revision surgery  is  highly complex and sometimes not an option in  patients with failed gastric bypass.

Houston General Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.