Can I start lifting heavy weights (Crossfit) with my breast implant?

I was born with a sunken chest and one of my breasts didn't develop. I had 1 implant on the side that didnt develop when I was 12, I am now 29. I recently started Crossfit and am worried about it. Is it okay for me to lift heavy weights with it? I don't know if it was put under the muscle or not. Thanks!

Breast Augmentation and Crossfit

Thanks for your question! During the first 6 of healing from a breast augmentation, any strenuous impact on the chest muscles should be avoided. Considering that you want to return to a more rigorous workout regimen such as Crossfit, your recovery may be longer than 6 weeks. It is best to start your program back up slowly and then gradually increase severity as tolerated. Be sure to discuss your recovery post-op with your board-certified surgeon for a personalized recommendation.

Crossfit

You should be able to lift weights with your implants.  Use discomfort as your guide and start off slowly.  Best of luck to you 

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Crossfit exercise and breast implants

Thanks for your question.  You should be fine to lift this far out from the original surgery. You always want to pay attention to what your body is telling you, so if you feel pain on the breast where you have your implant stop the lifting and see your plastic surgeon.  That is the wise thing to do rather than just ignoring it.  Best of luck to you.

Crossfit

Thank you for your question.  Your breast implant shouldn't interfere with your ability to lift weights or do any of the CrossFit movements or workouts.  Obviously, use good judgement and if you are having increased pain or other concern on the implant side see a plastic surgeon in your area.  Best Wishes from one crossfitter to another!

Jamie Moenster, DO
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant for sunken chest at age 12

Thank you for your question and your story. You should be able to perform whatever activities you feel up to being this far out from your surgery. All the best!

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Implant for Poland's

Your implant is likely underneath the muscle since your breast was underdeveloped and this was more of a reconstruction case than a cosmetic augmentation. Given that the implant is almost 20 years old at this point, I doubt you will be able to displace the implant by working out your muscle, which is the fear that we have with cosmetic augmentation under the muscle within the first year or so. Your capsule has formed completely and matured. Many times girls with Poland's syndrome do not have a well formed pectoralis muscle either, so do not be frustrated by imbalance. Also, you will likely need a revision at some point in the next 10 years or so. Techniques for breast reconstruction have come a long way since you were 12 years old. It may be possible to put that implant in a different pocket using some kind of Dermal matrix. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Can I start lifting heavy weights (Crossfit) with my breast implant? = yes #breastimplant #breastaugmentation

Patients after breast augmentation with implants require to follow strict activity restrictions to avoid misprision of the implants during the healing process.
In my practice, patients post breast augmentation with implants are allowed to perform any physical activity (including crossfire) after weeks post surgery. 

John Mesa, MD

Thank you for the question. Long-term patients who undergo breast augmentation surgery should be able to return to all activities with full strength. You should be just fine. You may find the attached link/video interesting. Best wishes.  

At 17 years post-op you should be able to participate in any sports you would otherwise be able to do

There should be no reason based upon your implant alone that you can't participate in any athletic activity that you wish, or would otherwise be able to do if you didn't have an implant.  I have many patients who do just about every athletic activity you can think of with breast implants, and they have no problems doing what they were able to do before the surgery.  Many of them have chest deformities, including pectus excavatum and pectoralis muscle defects, too.  Regarding the placement of your implant, the best source of that information will be your original surgeon.  If you can obtain operative reports from his or her office that should include how the implant was placed with regard to the muscle.  It could also be that your breast absence on that side was a part of a larger set of findings called "Poland Syndrome," and sometimes people with that condition are born without a pectoralis muscle on the affected side, too.  In such cases, obviously the implant would be "above the muscle," or more accurately, subglandular or subcutaneous ( in the event the there was no gland as well).   If you have any concerns about your breast implant you should pay a visit to your surgeon, and if he or she is not available any longer, given the length of time since your surgery, you should locate a new board certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate your implant in person and either assure you that all is well with your existing reconstruction, or recommend anything that can or should be done to improve things.  Best of luck.