When can you raise your arms at full height post BA?

Im 17 days po BA, my breats are still pretty high up and i get sore often if i do too much of anything even lite work. When can i raise my arms again or open my arms like tying my own hair. I want to be safe than sorry so i ask.

Breast Augmentation Recovery

At this point post op I would expect that you would have full ROM for your arms, however tissue can still be sore. I recommend that you speak with your Plastic Surgeon about how you are feeling and instructions moving forward.

All the best

Raise arms after Breast Aug

In my opinion you should raise your arms asap. Natural movement should be encouraged to relax the implant pocket. This not a large issue when implants are placed above the muscle. 
Seek advice from your board certified plastic surgeon. 

Leon Goldstein, MD
Madison Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your important question.  I asked my patients to very gradually attempt to raise their arms starting at 3-4 days after surgery.  I asked him to increase by at least an inch or 2 every day if they can do so without severe pain.

My goal is that most patients who have had submuscular breast augmentation can raise their arms above their head by 3 weeks after submuscular breast augmentation.

However it is very important that you see your plastic surgeon  and ask your surgeon when he may attempt this.  Your surgeon is in the best position to properly answer your question.  Please do not follow Internet advice.

When Can I Raise My Arms after Breast Augmentation #breastaugmentation #breastimplants

• We allow our patients to raise their arms as soon as their breast augmentation is finished!
  • The longer you wait to raise your arms, the stiffer you'll become.
  • Best to do some easy range of motion exercises after breast augmentation to prevent shoulder discomfort later on.  You may want to begin by walking your hands up a wall, and each day try to go a bit higher. 
  • Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon. 
  • Thanks for sharing!

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. Always best to run these types of post op concerns directly by your plastic surgeon. Having said that, most patients at your stage will have full range of motion;  I would suggest gentle/gradual range of motion exercises. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

When can I raise my arms after breast aug?

Thanks so much for your question. I agree with others that you want to check with your surgeon for their  advise.  However, I advise my patients to raise their arms over their head every hour they are awake from the first day.  Studies support this advise, as people get very sore from the implants just being placed under your pectoralis muscle. If you don't move your muscle tightens and you become even more sore. Staying "open" and not "closed" in your shoulders and posture following surgery really helps. Good luck. 

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Using and raising your arms after breast augmentation surgery

It's always best to check with your surgeon about his or her protocol. I advise my patients that it is normal to have some soreness until the 3rd week, especially for heavier arm activities. For example, I tell my patients who are nurses that they will be a little sore when they move their patients but it's okay to do so by the 14th day and no problem by the 21st. I also advise them to take it easy the first week. If at that time they are not able to raise their arms completely above their head, I start them on wall walking exercises so that by the end of the second week the latest they have full range of motion. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." Hope this helps.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Raising arms after breadt aug

I advise my patients that they should wait for 2 weeks. Then slowly advance without causing discomfort. Good luck!

Sean T. Lille, MD

Each surgeon has their own post operative recommendations that differ. I recommend patients avoid lifting their arms for two weeks. You should address this with your surgeon specifically. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD