Is it normal to experience increased tightening of breasts 4.5 weeks post op? (Photo)

I am 4.5 weeks post op. Just today, my right breast has had increased tightening. I have had tightness to both breasts during the healing process, but suddenly today, my right one is having increased tightening. On a side note, a week ago I got an unsolicited bear hug that felt like my right breast maybe stretched the pocket. I have had no swelling or bruising or any alteration in the outward appearance that I can see.

4.5 weeks post op

you for the question. You are still in
the post operation recovery stage. It is
not uncommon to feel pain during this
period. It usually takes about 8-12
weeks for the wounds to heal and around 4-6 months for the implants to fully
settle. The pain should subside with time but if it doesn't, it would always be best to visit
your board-certified plastic surgeon and get a full assessment for your
concerns. Best of luck. Dr. Michael
Omidi. An
in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess
your needs and provide true medical advice.

Believe it or not, your breasts are still healing so it's not uncommon to have pain at 4.5 weeks. If it doesn't decrease on it's own then schedule an appointment to see your surgeon, but otherwise, very normal. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

4.5 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.

Its too early to talk about results with only 4.5 weeks post op. In my practice, after performing a Breast Augmentation I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

4.5 weeks

Thank you for your question. Although sensations of tingling and tightening can come and go throughout the healing process, if you have new, increasing discomfort or hardening of the breast it would be best for you to contact your Plastic Surgeon and let them advise you.

All the best

Sudden Tightness after 4.5 weeks Breast Augmentation

Great question! There is no set-in-stone experience that all women have. Everyone is a little different, and their levels of pain, swelling, tightness and how the implants sit following breast augmentation surgery is different. Pain and tightness can come and go through the healing process, however, since you experienced an incident you feel might have caused the sudden increased tightness, it is worth seeing your doctor and having him/her examine you to make sure everything is ok. He/she may also wish to address the tightening to ensure that you are not forming a capsule.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Is it normal to experience increased tightening of breasts 4.5 weeks post op?

I appreciate your question.

Since there is a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Dear ReadyFor2New,
Recommendations are going to depend on the type of implants that were used and you should expect to receive a wide variety of opinions here. You can weigh these recommendations, but by all means speak to your surgeon because they know the details of your surgery.
If you have smooth implants massage may be an important part of keeping them mobile and soft. I personally feel that massage is very important, and needs to be done in a specific way (often varying slightly from patient to patient) in order to be effective. I recommend that patients press on the lower portion of their implant perpendicular to their chest until they reach their ribs and this forces the implant superiorly. The upper pocket can close down making the pocket for the implant smaller and feel firmer. There are other techniques as well, but again your surgeon's recommendations are very important.
If you have textured implants massage is not recommended and the firmness is a stage of healing. You might not feel them soften up again for several months.
There may be studies out there that were unable to prove the benefits of massage, but based on my own 20 years of experience I am a firm believer that is helps to maintain and improve softness if done correctly and early after surgery. It is wise to make an appointment early this week to see your surgeon because if a problem is brewing it is best to address it early with conservative measures.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tightness of breasts after surgery

Many of my patients will report similar things for 1 to 3 months. I usually tell them that unless there is major issues with pain, fevers, or shortness of breath or chest pain, then it is reasonable not to get too concerned about it.Be sure to discuss with your own surgeon about how this applies to you, and whether they have any special concerns in your case.