Will losing 20 more pounds make my swelling go down ? (photos)

I am 6' 180lb. I had lipo done, tummy tuck and breast revision and lift 1 month ago. Still puffy and really want to perfect my hour glass figure. Is losing weight and building butt up enough? Or do I need something else?

It may take a few more weeks or months for the swelling to go down completely.

First, congratulations on your mommy makeover! At one-month post-op, your body is still healing and recovering from your procedure, so some swelling is still to be expected at this stage. Keep in mind that as your body continues to heal and swelling diminishes, your final results will begin to reveal themselves. Once your plastic surgeon gives you the okay, you can then continue with any workout routines that you would like in order to tone or shape your body further. However, beginning vigorous exercise too soon or restricting your diet while you’re still recovering could interfere with the quality of your results and may lead to complications. While it can be tempting to get back to your normal routine as quickly as possible, make sure you stay patient with your body and give it the time it needs to rest and fully recover before worrying about losing weight.

Weight and surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.

Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30.
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Swelling Concern After a Mommy Makeover Procedure

Healing will continue for 2-3 months for the early period. This includes some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation in the breasts may also be abnormal and scars will be evolve. Tingling, burning or shooting pains in the breasts will disappear with time and should not alarm you. It is simply a result of the regeneration of your sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage per your surgeon's permission may help. The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling following a #TummyTuck or #Abdominoplasty. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after surgery, as directed by their doctor. Some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.

If you have concerns about your #healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Postop swelling

Thank you for your question.  Postop swelling can last 3-6 months.  Be patient...follow your surgeon's instructions.  It looks like you already have a very nice result.

Post-Operative Swelling

A typical abdominoplasty is a powerful procedure that often removes and reposition tissue of the abdominal wall for better contour and aesthetics. After an abdominoplasty, the skin swells from the trauma of surgery as fluid collects and the tissues become edematous. This excess swelling can be disconcerting in the early post-operative period. It will take 3 to 6 months for the swelling to settle out and for you to see a final result. Close follow-up with your surgeon is essential.

See the link below for more information on recovery after abdominoplasty.

Will losing weight decrease my swelling

Thank you for your question. It's really difficult for me to answer your question without knowing more specifics about you. With that said, with all of the procedures that you've had you will be swollen for at least another month or two. If you're not wearing a compression garment please start doing so. Be patient. Losing weight will not help the post op healing phase which includes swelling. Voice any concerns you have with your surgeon.  Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Mommy makeover

In time your swelling will go down.  With the tummy tuck and liposuction it can take 6-12 months.  Be patient, wear your garnet, do not gain weight, and be sure to discuss all your concerns with your surgeon.  Best of luck! 

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Postoperative Puffiness

The tummy will be swollen for at least 6 months (espeically the lower part of the tummy) it will continue to improve, make sure you wear your garment regularly to help keep the swelling in check, have patience while your body heals! Best of luck! Dr. K

Robert M. Kachenmeister, MD