I had Botox with amazing results but they only lasted 3 months and will work out very expensive to maintain.

I have been to a PS, who advised he would not do a brow lift as my brows are in the correct place, and could not recommend surgery that would address this issue of the furrows across my forehead. Is there surgery that can lift the skin on the forehead without lifting the brows

3-4 months

Thank you for your question Anne32. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. It can be used to adjust the shape and position of the brows. Most people enjoy their results for 3-4 months. As of now there is not a longer lasting injectable treatment. Botox is an investment and it is important to understand the investment when deciding on treatments. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Botox – What to expect

Thanks for your question. This is a question that we get asked often by our patients.  As far as Botox treatments, muscle hyperactivity would likely require treatment 3 times a year.  Botox effects can last anywhere from 4-6 months and with recurrent treatments, this will lead to mild atrophy of the muscle, and some prolongation of Botox's effects.  Botox effects are never permanent, however, if you elected to stop, your muscle would hypertrophy back to its original size. These are advanced techniques so be sure to get an experienced cosmetic dermatologist consultation for recommendations and treatment options.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Botox

Thank you for your question in regards to Botox. Unfortunately, no surgical procedure can lift the forehead without the movement of your brows. Contining botox may be your best option. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question. Perhaps you would like to consider a second opinion. It is difficult to provide an accurate answer without an in person assessment or photo. Unfortunately Botox does only last approx. 3 months, but works well to prevent wrinkles.

Hello Anne32,

Botox and other neuromodulators like Dysport act to immobilize the muscles in the treated area.  This helps prevent the wrinkles that develop with activity (like the furrows across your forehead).  If you have low set brows and are always trying to pull them up, which leads to the wrinkles then a brow lift can help.  But if your brows are in a good position, and you are just expressive, then Botox is the best treatment.  Botox is expected to last about 3 months so you had the appropriate length of a benefit. There isn't a specific surgery that would remove the forehead wrinkles without changing the brow position.  For etched in wrinkles on the forehead then resurfacing can be of benefit.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox is less expensive than surgery

With Botox you can achieve a smoother forehead and also lift the brows.  These areas shouldn't cost too much unless you add the area between your brows and your crows feet.  The benefit of Botox, if you go to an expert injector, is it can be adjusted as needed to achieve more symmetrical brows.  

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Glabellar furrows

The skin of the forehead cannot be surgically lifted without lifting the eyebrows. They are obviously attached. "furrows across the forehead" is not a medical condition. It is cosmetic and you do not NEED to have any surgery or treatment for your health but if you wish to improve the appearance then there is cost and risk. Botox is temporary and lasts 3-4 months and it costs what it costs since it is expensive for the doctors to purchase it. there are no permanent solutions, its all temporary, even surgery. Its only a matter of how temporary. The longer the results lasts, the more expensive the procedure will be and the higher the risks.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox is expensive

If you are concerned about the wrinkles in between your eyebrows, I would have to recommend Botox as you best treatment option.  Surgeries have been used in the past to correct this problem, but the results were not satisfactory.  I understand that Botox is expensive, you have to decide whether or not this is something you can afford to do every 3-4 months.  Even doing it once a year, however, can help somewhat with your problem.  Good luck!

Botox and expense

I am not sure what you are asking but Botox can provide some lifting with the correct injection procedure. as far as expense is concerned I don't know what you paid but if the yearly cost is 1200 dollars then you are spending 100 a month which is not all that bad considering what you get and the cost of surgery

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox or brow lift?

Thank you for asking about your Botox and brow lift.
  • Your surgeon has given you good advice -
  • Removing the muscles that cross your forehead will not give a pleasing result -
  • It was done in the past and abandoned after Botox was developed.
  • Botox will be much less expensive than a brow lift -
  • If it is too expensive, you may find a doctor who will charge you less -
  • Or you may need less Botox.
  • If you keep up Botox every 3 months for 2 years, you have a 70% chance of needing less Botox, less often.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS