Swelling 3 weeks post-op, is this normal? (photos)

I am 3 weeks post op and there is swelling in my lower abdomin/mons pubis area is this normal? Front view seems flat but side view is puffy.

Swelling after TT

Thank you for your question. You look good and healing appropriate per picture. Swelling will continue to get better in the next few weeks. Please follow instructions from your PS

Swelling 3 weeks post-op, is this normal

Yes, you are going to have swelling on and off for the next 3-6 months while everything is healing on the inside. You should be wearing some sort of compression binder to help keep the swelling at a minimum. Make sure to follow up with your surgeon and to follow all of his/her post op instructions. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photos. You are still relatively early in the post-operative period and should expect to have swelling for three to six months following your tummy tuck surgery, Use of a properly fitted compression garment will help decrease the length and severity of the post-operative swelling. As the swelling decreases, the contour of your abdomen, flanks, and hips will dramatically improve. Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Swelling 3 weeks post-op, is this normal?

The most common cause for significant swelling of the lower abdomen following tummy tuck is seroma or fluid collection.  However this diagnosis requires an examination by your plastic surgeon.  Please see her plastic surgeon for an examination.  If there is a seroma or fluid collection this will most likely be aspirated.  See her surgeon and do not follow Internet advice.

Swelling

Swelling above the scar is usual after an abdominoplasty and this will settle. You should contact your PS to gain advice on the garment and massage

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck post op swelling

Hi - it sounds as though you are experiencing usual post operative swelling as you are only 3 weeks post op.  I would anticipate the swelling will reduce but this may take up to 6 months as you are healing inside.  

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (3 months post-po) the swelling have to be minimal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and pictures.  For being only three weeks after surgery, the swelling seems quite normal.  Swelling from any surgery can last several months.  But, overall you look great for such a short period of time.  If, however, the swelling increases significantly, the return to your PS asap. 

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon