Can I have a tummy tuck to remove a scar on my stomach? (photo)

I am a 31 yr old female and I was born I without a bladder and I've had 20+ surgeries and a baby. I also have a stoma on the lower side of my belly button to Catherize. The stoma has to stay in order for me to Catherize but I have a scar from the top of my vagina to an inch above my belly button. I want to know if there is a possibility that I can have a tummy tuck to get rid of the scar but somehow leave the stoma or make another hole for it without getting damaged and also have a new belly button made?

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your description, this should be possible.  I have performed tummy tucks in very similar situations before. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Surgery with stoma

My general feeling is that you would not be a candidate for surgery. The most important thing is that the stoma functions appropriately and is free from infection.  Undoubtedly, you have a significant amount of internal scar tissue. Unfortunately, cosmetic surgery would not be appropriate under these circumstances.

TT to Remove Scar?

From your description it sounds like, no, unfortunately a #tummytuck will not be able to completely remove your #scar to give you the result you desire.  After so many surgeries, scarring becomes problematic.

In order to give you my best opinion, however, I need to see photographs.  You need to book an in-person consultation with a #BoardCertified #PlasticSurgeon to see if your desired results are possible.

Best of luck.

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question. Photos would be helpful in providing an accurate response. You have a complicated situation and truly need an in-person examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Hope this helps and good luck!

Tummy tuck

You would need to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon, be examined, and realistically discuss your options. Since you have had so many surgeries, scarring is an issue. Plus the stoma increases your chances of infection. Depending upon your scars, blood supply to your skin may also be a concern. Your surgeon can help guide you if surgery is in your best interest.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Scar on stomach?

The short answer to your question is NO. Although photos would be helpful, it looks like your abdomen has fairly complex issues going on and that any further surgery even to correct some of the scarring etc would be risky and not worth the effort for you.  The stoma and other important structural constructs like ostomies etc are tough to manage and potential complications risks are not acceptable in my opinion.  Hope this helps.  
Dr Vasisht

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon