After 1 year will unevenness go away? My left breast is significantly smaller. If no, is there a surgical step to correct it?

My right breast is full, round, natural looking. My left breast is smaller, much less full, it never settled the way my right breast did. It has looked the same for like 4 months. The bottom of my left breast probably a quarter to a half inch higher than my right breast. I had my last consultation about 2 months ago and she said it would be my last unless a concern came up. She's been telling me for months to let the unevenness go away over time. But it has been 1 year and nothing.

#breastaugmentation #implants #plasticsurgery

Hello rugbygirl, Congratulations on your recent surgery and thank you for sharing your question about your post operative recovery and results after your breast augmentation surgery.  Final results can take up to six months for all the swelling to subside.  At our office here at CARE we actually see all of our breast surgery patients the very next day after surgery and then again at two weeks and beyond. We enjoy staying closely connected to our patients and enjoy giving the extra attention and service.  Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. I hope this is helpful and wish you all the very best.  Sincerely, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS
CARE Plastic Surgery

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Uneven breasts at one year, what to do?

It is difficult to advise you without photographs.  Based upon your description, I would not expect much improvement after one year.  You will probably need a revision but would again discuss this with your surgeon and it that does not help, seek a second opinion.  Good luck 

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry is the norm rather than the exception.  Fold asymmetry is likely not going to change.  If volume is the issues, perhaps changing the implant can help.

Uneven breasts

Without photographs it's difficult to tell what's going on. Generally speaking, one year postoperatively I doubt that there will be much more settling of your breast implants. Some adjustment of the pocket may be necessary and/or fat grafting to even up the size. I recommend you go back to your operating surgeon to discuss these options and if needed, get a second opinion from another qualified cosmetic plastic surgeon in your region. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

At 1 year, the unevenness will likely not go away without some kind of intervention.  I would contact the surgeon again for an appointment to discuss your concerns.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon