I had a neck lift, I wanted a tuck behind my ears type, found out my doctor is not a plastic surgeon , just a surgeon. (photos)

I went to a refered doctor, I needed a neck lift, I wanted the tuck behind the ears. He kept insisting on lipo, and lazer . He said I wasent a bad. I saved ,saved can, now I can't look in the mirror I'm disgusted . i was a model for years, I took care of myself, At 50 I looked 40, now at 56 I look 80.talked to the Dr. he wanted to cut from my chin down to my throat to cut out all the loose skin. My face looks disorted now. Can I sue,I just want it fixed. Or refund, Neck is flapping, discolored.

Neck lift

Sorry to hear about your predicament.  It looks like you could benefit from a lower face and neck lift.  If he now wants to cut off the skin directly in the middle, I would not advise it.  It can still be effectively treated with a face and neck lift, even though you had a liposuction and laser before.  Not to worry about the medical aspects of your case...once a face and neck lift is done, you'll probably be well on your way to greater satisfaction.  I don't think a non invasive technique would achieve your desired results.

Look at this for more details on my stcplasticsurgery site and click on the resouces and video for neck rejuvination.

There are various techniques and in your case, probably a face and neck lift.

I can't advise on your legal options.  Lawsuits usually take a longer amount of time, especially if you just want it fixed.  Refund?  That's up to your assessment of the situation. Revision?  Technically speaking, I dont think you want more of the same procedure or liposuction being done, which is what a revision entails. If you've lost confidence in your doctor, its best to seek a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon for another consultation, who regularly does a high volume of facial rejuvination procedures and can show experience and good results.

Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Complain

I would complain to this doctor and try to get your money back.  At least that way you can get some portion back in order to pay for a better corrective surgery by a board certified plastic surgeon.

I wouldn't sue - this will be costly and wear on you and I'm not sure how much it will make you feel better in the end. Additionally, you might not get the judgement in your favor.  

Tell him what you said here - you just want it fixed.

Christopher C. Chang, MD

Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia

I had a neck lift by doctor that is not a plastic surgeon: can I fix it? = Revision neck lift surgery is possible #necklift

Patients who are not completely satisfied with he results of a neck lift may be candidates for a revision neck lift ( secondary neck lift). 

In my practice, when evaluating a patient for potential neck lift revision, I point out that the face also changes with aging. Therefore, very often a facelift might be necessary to be performed at the same time of a neck lift if the patient would like to have a rejuvenated loo as they used to have in the past. 

Patients interested in revision neck lift   should make a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon specialized in plastic surgery procedures of the face

John Mesa, MD

Options after neck lipo and laser

I sympathize with your predicament.  I don't know what you looked like prior to the first treatment, or how long ago it was performed.  You have jowling and neck laxity and can benefit from a face and neck lift procedure.  The good news is that once you are fully recovered from the first procedure it is likely that you will see a nice improvement.  

Thomas A. Pane, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

What was discussed during your consultation?

If your doctor promised you results, you did not get it and you should be entitled to some kind of restitution or addressed with his revision policy.  If you were not promised anything, I'm sorry you did not investigate the background of your surgeon better.  Most plastic surgeons know when a real facelift is needed versus using less invasive techniques and you needed a real facelift.  Do not take the anterior neck lift unless you can live with a visible scar for the rest of your life.  They work well with older people and men.  But not younger women who desire smoother necks.  You should be able to discuss your concerns with your doctor and try to find some suitable resolution short of litigation as no one really wins there except the attorneys.

Curtis Wong, MD

Neck Lift

The photos show an individual who would benefit from a  facelift with corset platysmaplasty.  Liposuction alone just unmasks the underlying platysmal bands, which must be tightened in order to address the obliquity present in the neck.  The solution that your current Surgeon is offering is known as a submental z-plasty, which most women find less appealing due to the requirement for a mid-line scar.  I recommend seeing a few experienced facelift Surgeons in your area for consultations. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser And Lipo Vs. Necklift Surgery

I am sorry to hear of your bad experience. Neck lifting is detailed and complex; however, done with precision, it can reestablish your jawline and bring back the tightness of your neck that you enjoyed in your youth. I have studied your photos in detail. You have a fair amount of excess skin, and a fair amount of fat. I say this without the opportunity to examine you, but your issue appears to be fixable with a comprehensive neck lift, which is good news. (I am glad your bad experience did not involve your face.)  A word to the wise: always seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in excellent standing with decades of experience and a stellar education and reviews. 

3 things to consider before you get a neck lift

Thank you for your question.  Everyone would love to have a miracle procedure which gives amazing, dramatic results, but  without any downtime and without risk of complications.  Unfortunately, such a procedure doesn't exist.  There is always a balance between the degree of results and the degree of downtime, i.e.  more dramatic results, requires more downtime.  

Before your consultation with your surgeon, have in mind the following:

1.  What exactly would you like to improve and what bothers you about your current appearance?  Be as specific, as possible...For example, is it the jowling along the jawline, the skin under the, or the loss of volume in the cheeks?

2.  How much improvement do you want?  Does the sagging skin need to go away entirely or would you be happy with some improvement in your appearance?

3.  How much downtime can you and your schedule tolerate?  As I mentioned above, if you have a very saggy neck, you will require more downtime to get it entirely corrected.  A more subtle improvement in your appearance may have little to know downtime.

4.  What is your budget?

5.  What are your surgeons qualifications?  If you think you may require a neck or facelift, be sure you are seeking out an appropriately board certified facial plastic surgeon.  Unfortunately, some cosmetic practitioners will recommend non-invasive treatments (even when patients will not be happy with a non surgical result) simply because they can't DO those surgeries and non invasive treatments are all that they can offer.  Put another way,  if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.  A facial plastic surgeon will be able to assess your face and make recommendations customized for you.

I hope I am correct that you already underwent the lipo and laser treatments and are unhappy by the results. If that is the case, I would recommend consultation with a local, well reputed, and board certified facial plastic surgeon as you would benefit from a neck lift.  I don't think you would be happy with any other non-invasive modalities.  Your surgeon should be able to show you not only their credentials but also before and after photographs of their work. 
Best wishes, MKB

Michael Bowman, MD
Roanoke Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift Minus the Tuck

I can't advise you as to your options with your other Dr, however there are options for you. I suggest you get a formal consultation with an expert: Vaser Hi Def, ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy and Kybella can all help tighten and contour the neck and jawline. Best, Dr. Emer.

Facelift

I suggest that you get a consultation with an actual board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon. I don't like the sound of the proposed skin excision. I can't advise you on legal aspects as I am not a lawyer. There is a component of buyer beware in the area of cosmetic medicine.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon